My new MP3 player

OK everyone I need your help again,my wife is trying to keep me up with the times and bought me an MP3 player with a base player unit. My question is has anyone brought one of these on a cruise and if so how did it work. I know we should be able to charge it in the room I bet it will sound wonderful in the room.Your feed back as always will be appreciated.

OK everyone I need your help again,my wife is trying to keep me up with the times and bought me an MP3 player with a base player unit. My question is has anyone brought one of these on a cruise and if so how did it work. I know we should be able to charge it in the room I bet it will sound wonderful in the room.Your feed back as always will be appreciated.

Not really sure what your question is. An mp3 player is just that, it plays mp3's that you put on it. As for the sound, should sound exactly the same on the boat as it does in your house.

Kevin, we have, and it is indeed wonderful. You can come visit us in our cabin when we're on Jewel if you don't believe it. I have an iPod Nano and Altec travel speakers - very compact, and they charge the Nano when it sits in the base. We listened to it every day. I'm visiting my dad right now, and cadged a couple of his classic CDs for my iTunes (Tony Bennett).

I'm looking forward to meeting your wife.:D

Another thing that I bought, thanks to gmoney on these threads, is an iGo charger set. I got the charger for my laptop (I will convert your digital photos to CD if you buy me a drink of my choice), and I bought the attachment that also allows me to recharge my cellphone, PDA, iPod (which I don't need it to do because I have the speakers) or any other peripheral device. You get the base charging unit and additional "tips" for each device. It is way cool.

Work great, just turn them on! Get some headphones for around the pool/beach too! Mine takes batteries, so no need for recharging. I would imagine that yours will take batteries too, so in a pinch, don't need to worry about bringing the charger, just bring extra batteries.

Took my iPod and base player to China and LOVED IT! You'll be glad you took yours but make sure you put some nice romantic music on there for when you and yours are in the cabin and the TV just won't do!;)

Also, put some fun party music on there for poolside in case they are playing songs you'd rather not hear!:eek:

Enjoy the trip.

Enjoy your new MP3 player!! I just bought an iPod about a month ago, and I will be bringing it on my cruise (which leaves in EXACTLY A WEEK!! - yay!) with a travel speaker/charging station I bought from Sharper Image. It will be fun to have music while we're getting ready for dinner, etc. Also, i work out every day, so the iPod will be traveling with me to the fitness center.

Make sure when you are not using it that you lock it up. I am a college professor, and I can attest that THE most frequently stolen item on campus is MP3 players!

Again, enjoy!

Pop a few audio books on it, too. Those are great for the airplane or waiting to get on board the ship.....or, waiting to get off the ship, too!

I use my iPod with Bose headphones. Heaven!! ESPECIALLY on airplanes with noisy children. I had a really noisy child behind me on a flight and never knew it with th Bose headphones. You can also get the noise-cancelling headphones cheaper at Costco.

Pop a few audio books on it, too. Those are great for the airplane or waiting to get on board the ship.....or, waiting to get off the ship, too!

Hey, guys. Don't mean to jump into your conversation, but I have been learning about using my MP3 for audio books and am just about ready for that experience. I travel a good bit and think it might be interesting in airports or on the flight. Will probably also take it with me on our cruise in November. Just have to learn all the specifics, since mine is NOT an iPOD, but the comparable version--Creative's Zen Micro. Never listened to "books on tape" (that's certainly dates me, doesn't it?), but think it would a cool use of my MP3.

Pop a few audio books on it, too. Those are great for the airplane or waiting to get on board the ship.....or, waiting to get off the ship, too!quote]

Hey, guys. Don't mean to jump into your conversation, but I have been learning about using my MP3 for audio books and am just about ready for that experience. I travel a good bit and think it might be interesting in airports or on the flight. Will probably also take it with me on our cruise in November. Just have to learn all the specifics, since mine is NOT an iPOD, but the comparable version--Creative's Zen Micro. Never listened to "books on tape" (that's certainly dates me, doesn't it?), but think it would a cool use of my MP3.

I just heard about this myself! I think it's a great idea, and I might look into it for my upcoming cruise. I have a long flight to L.A. on Friday, and an audiobook sounds good!

I just heard about this myself! I think it's a great idea, and I might look into it for my upcoming cruise. I have a long flight to L.A. on Friday, and an audiobook sounds good!

DH and I were at Borders yesterday picking up our reading material for our first cruise next week and noticed that they now sell Audio books in disposable players. $29.99. Just for people who don't have mp3 or IPODs. Myself I am fine tuning my play lists for my mp3 player for next Sat. Our first cruise:D

i-pods are soooo yesterday, SLVR phone with built in i-tunes is where it's at now! :)

My phone will only hold about 200 songs on a 1G trans flash card. That's the biggest card I can find for it and I searched heaven and earth for it. It's great for work because it will play right through the phones speaker or a headset and cuts off automatically to receive calls or two way radio communication and then resumes play. Wish it would hold more though.

My friend just bought a Zen and loooooves to dowload books to it. She and I go to the audio books at our libraries and gets them free! Check your local library, but be sure they are audio and not just text ebooks that you have to read.

Merry, don't apologize, just play em'. My son noticed that in addition to Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, Tool and Rage Against the Machine I programmed...Abba. Don't know when I'll play it, but I saw two Australian movies that featured Abba (one was Priscilla Queen of the Desert) and the music sounded great in context. Maybe when I go to Australia...

Merry, don't apologize, just play em'. My son noticed that in addition to Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, Tool and Rage Against the Machine I programmed...Abba. Don't know when I'll play it, but I saw two Australian movies that featured Abba (one was Priscilla Queen of the Desert) and the music sounded great in context. Maybe when I go to Australia...

Was the other movie "Murel's Wedding?" That one also uses Abba music. I have them on my Zen as well. ;)

Reading is better mental exercise and more enjoyable than listening to someone read to you. What are you, babies? I know, you're on vacation, and reading is too much exercise.

For me, it's not either/or. I love to read...and I do. But there are sometimes when it's not that convenient, so I think I'll try listening to the books. :p

Isn't music simply great once you have an iPod (or similiar device)? My job responsibilities allow me to listen to my iPod for the entire work day if I wish...gotta love it! I bought a set of speakers recently, which fit into a compact case for travel...good for cruising.

Reading is better mental exercise and more enjoyable than listening to someone read to you. What are you, babies? I know, you're on vacation, and reading is too much exercise.

I love to read, too. Audio books are great listening when you have something else to do, like housework, yard work, etc. The iPod or MP3 player is so compact and easy to carry instead of a book.

No offense to anyone's taste in music (including me! hahaha), but I have a playlist called "Cheesy", and it's got all those songs my DH loves to hate:

Barry White's instrumental "Love's Theme" (with that weird "wicka-wicka" guitar sound)

ABBA's "Take a Chance on Me"

"Play That Funky Music White Boy"

"Feels So Good" by Chuck Mangione

"Jive Talkin" and "Stayin' Alive" by the BeeGees

"She Works Hard for the Money" and "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summers

and...last, but not the cheesiest...

"Boogie Shoes"

If you get an iPod, the iTunes online store is a little addictive. One-click buying makes it toooooo easy, especially paying with PayPal. You've got your song in about 15 seconds! But 99 cents a pop isn't too bad.

I have several playlists. One is about 2 hours of classical music, for those times at work when I need to de-stress. I have a playlist of instrumental music for quiet times, like reading, relaxing. I have a general list, for airplanes, beach. I have one list that I use for my daily walking. Love being able to organize!! :)

I have a question about downloading audio books. :confused: Someone earlier mentioned being able to bookmark them in an iPod. Does anyone know if most MP3s will have this capability? If not, that would make it very inconvenient to leave the book and come back later. Make sense? :o

Sure, I'll just prop a book up on my windshield while I'm commuting. Why not? Every day on the LA freeways I see people putting on their makeup, reading the newspaper (I really like the ones who don't bother to fold it), talking on their cellphones, shaving or having sex.

Archived