Seabourn Sojourn OB -v- Viking Sky Owners Suite

Ovener

On 10/28/2022 at 3:28 AM, Ovener said:

7.     Tours, enrichment, entertainment and crew

Viking is firmly aimed at enrichment rather than entertainment and the cruise very much revolves around destinations and tours. For a seven-day cruise, it feels a bit odd having an overnight onboard in both Athens and Istanbul (as you aren’t doing much cruising) but it certainly helps with seeing more of those cities. However, we had a hotel extension both ends, and it made seeing Athens and Istanbul rather ‘bitty’ with a big pack/unpack session in the middle of each city stop. Viking comes with at least one free excursion per port and we took two of these in Troy and a Bosphorus boat ride in Istanbul. The first was ok, the second great. However, beware any of the tours in Turkey, as they all seem to end up in the guide’s brother-in-law’s rug factory for a demonstration of hard sell, sorry, I mean the ancient art of weaving. Just leave!  I can’t believe how many people actually bought rugs.  

One perk of the owners suite was a private tour on one day. We did that on Crete to the Arkadi Monastery and Rethymnon with a charming guide and driver and it was superb. 

We didn’t do any Seabourn tours despite booking one on OBC from Sète to Montpellier on our last day (which was cancelled).  We don’t like group tours except where essential, so weren’t too bothered and use the OBC to buy two backpacks. For Brits having to pay in dollars with a weak pound, the prices of the Seabourn tours are shocking in any event.  Seabourn’s destinations were in Spain and France were all great for walking about and sightseeing and there was a free shuttle bus where the port was away from the centre. 

Viking wins in terms of lectures about the destinations - it had a university professor whose explanations of the Ottoman Empire were intelligible and succinct. However, talks were timed to clash with dinner.  Seabourn’s lecturer on Spain / France was less experienced and less able to articulate, though he was really good at mingling with the passengers and unfailingly polite. Viking’s port talks were more professional (with slides in the Theatre - Seabourn’s are small gatherings in the club), but more geared towards selling their better-value tours. 

Where Viking slipped up for us was in its unremitting seriousness. We felt there wasn’t much sense of fun onboard. There was a superb violin/cello duo playing every day, which we loved, and a talented classical pianist. And a great guitarist Explorers Lounge. But it’s all pretty sedate. And there is absolutely nothing to do in the afternoons at all after lunch, save for afternoon tea in the Wintergarden at 4pm. We never understand this afternoon tea thing - why more food so soon before dinner?  But out of boredom we tried it. It was a nice tea, lovely space, absolutely rammed and service was patchy. There was only one pool deck party but this was for Viking regulars so we weren’t invited. We watched from an upper deck but didn’t suffer from too much FOMO. There was meant to be an Abba night in the theatre but this mysteriously disappeared (maybe some entertainers had COVID?). There was a Beatles evening towards the end but we didn’t go. The entertainers we met were very pleasant and welcoming. 

Seabourn had far more arranged in the afternoon. There was entertainment every evening in the theatre (though at 9.45pm we find that rather late) and at least three deck parties, many of which were late afternoon sailaways and very jolly, as we Brits say. The cruise director Ryan was brilliant with passengers and omnipresent. There was far more of a sense you were on holiday, meant to enjoy yourself and the staff wanted you see you have fun. The fact that there were many younger passengers on board helped with this too. I’d reckon the average age on Seabourn was at least five years younger. 

Viking wins hands down for still distributing a daily ‘Herald’ equivalent to everyone. We tried the Seabourn App for a few hours, but it’s just not as convenient and quick to scan as the paper Herald, so we stopped by Guest Services and asked for a physical copy each day. This was delivered nightly like the old days (though placed in the cabin – I guess so it doesn’t look too tempting to others in the pigeonhole!).  Highly recommended that you do that. Maybe Seabourn will get the message that just about everyone prefers it.  Viking also provided proper mineral water for excursions, not the foul Seabourn recycled stuff.

Seabourn passengers BTW were considerably more dressy in the evening than Viking ones.  They seemed a bit chattier too, if you like that kind of thing.

The Sojourn’s crew were far more present and engaged than on Viking and the captain much more visible. I wondered whether on Viking they were being cautious due to COVID…we only saw the captain once from afar. We were meant to have been invited to a dinner with the captain and crew as part of the Owners Suite package but the invitation never came. 

Most staff onboard Viking Sky and Seabourn Sojourn were absolutely charming. We got special attention on the Sky due to the Owners Suite, but felt just the welcome and level of engagement was just as good on Seabourn.  Viking’s sommelier was incredibly friendly and helpful though. 

Both ships are clearly dealing with staff shortages and newbies being trained up, but nothing went awfully wrong.  Seabourn seemed to have a lot more staff around…there was no waiting at all for a drink by the pool and all ordering and drinks were prompt with every meal.  Things took a little longer on Viking.

Both Seabourn and Viking seem to leave anything shore-based (i.e. literally the moment you step off) to local agents now. I seem to remember Seabourn had their own crew helping all the way before the pandemic and rather liked that. There’s no big ‘welcome back’ like there used to be.

8.     To Sum Up….

The Viking Sky Owners Suite is the most luxurious suite at sea we have ever experienced or indeed will ever.  The Sky is a lovely ship too and the staff and crew are charming.  Maybe it was the searing heat of Greece and Turkey in August, or the poor dining, or the destinations (Ephesus was amazing though)…but we came back from the vacation a bit tired and disappointed.  I expect had we visited somewhere new, like Iceland, we might have felt different. Then we wondered if, post-pandemic, cruising had just lost its mojo.

However, coming back to Seabourn six weeks afterwards, things felt a bit more like the old days.  Granted, there were fewer and newer staff and the normal random selection of niggles, but it still felt a fun, special, luxury experience.  Reading other posts here it seems that - at the moment - everything depends on which Seabourn ship you choose. But Sojourn seemed to have it pretty much all together.  We came back happy and refreshed and felt it the holiday been really good value.

I guess we’ve found out that, for us, the cruise line is more important than the suite grade.  We think Seabourn strikes the better balance between enrichment and enjoyment.  So, for the time being, we’ll stick to Seabourn veranda suites. 

Happy to do my best to answer questions if you have any!

What were the passenger demographics compared to Seabourn?

7 hours ago, ivyleaguegent said:

What were the passenger demographics compared to Seabourn?

They were a bit older on Viking than on Seabourn… I would say 5-10 years older on average and some less mobile. Average age 70? Only saw one group of younger people in their 20s on Viking (in a family group) and of course no under 18s as not allowed. Seabourn had a few families with young children and groups of people in their 30s/40s. Probably more Brits on the Viking cruise than with Seabourn.  Seabourn more international overall but predominantly North American like Viking. 

• Thanks 1