Sokhna Port, Egypt how to get transportation to Cairo?

SFtraveller

My info is from a few years ago, so treat it with caution.

Sokhna is a secure port, there are no tours or even taxis "on-spec" so whatever you want to do you need to book in advance - otherwise you'll be spending the day on your ship watching the crane-operators playing Lego with containers on the other side of the harbour.

(we actually did that because after leaving port, the ship had to turn back due to a dynamo issue and we spent the next day in port waiting for a part to be flown out - truck driver got a big cheer when he arrived, and half-an-hour later we were on our way again)

Some folk do book private tours, but it's a 2-hour drive - mostly across desert - so be very very careful about the reputations of tour operators. 

Ships' tour buses travel in a convoy (sometimes accompanied by armed guards), then split into their different itineraries when they reach Cairo. Options are likely to include the pyramids at Gisa & the nearby sphynx, plus another venue - the extensive Museum of Egyptian Antiquities (Cairo Museum) which includes the golden mask of Tutankhamun is probably the best.

Street vendors are not aggressive, but can be a pain. Net result is that folk avoid showing any interest in their wares, a negative all-round. We bought from one stall that didn't hassle, but left folk to browse uninterrupted. Cairo is busy and crowded, but of course it has to be done.  

At the end of the day, tours all end at the "Papyrus Institute", which is a fancy name for the souvenir shop but it's quite interesting and has clean bathrooms etc. It's also where coaches organise themselves into convoys for the return to Port Sokhna.

If you also port at Safaga (for Luxor) that's even further - about 3.5 hours e/w, again across desert - but we found it a much more interesting, varied and pleasant day and very very worthwhile. Definitely one for a ship's tour. 

Probably a short drive to the Red Sea resort town of Hurghada or a dune-buggy drive will be offered as an alternative - they're strictly for those who've already "been there, done that, got the t-shirt", Safaga is very much for Luxor.

BTW because it's not a Brit or US ship, depending on the number of English-speakers, at any destination  you may end up on a ship's tour which combines two languages. C'est la vie, not usually a problem

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SFtraveller said:

Thanks John, I saw your other responses to this. We end our cruise and need to get to Cairo. So now I'm worried. A small car is not going to have a convoy. And there is a level 3 issued. Thank you for such a detailed response.

Latest advice on the UK's equivalent govt. website is only to take care - their advice not to travel applies only to Sinai and the western desert - see the map at  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Check to confirm that the ship offers excursions from Port Sokhna to Cairo, and assuming that it does (I can think of no other destination worthy of excursions from Sokhna) I reckon your driver can simply join the convoy for the extra protection - but transfer operators will know whether this has to be confirmed in advance. And their advice may be that it's safer not to go with the convoy.

Even at times of heightened tensions - in Egypt & most of the rest of the world - the prospects of coming to harm are very very low.

So I suggest you put away your worry-beads, but heed safety advice - including the advice of your transfer operator.

Bonne chance

JB 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2022 at 4:03 AM, John Bull said:

Latest advice on the UK's equivalent govt. website is only to take care - their advice not to travel applies only to Sinai and the western desert - see the map at  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Check to confirm that the ship offers excursions from Port Sokhna to Cairo, and assuming that it does (I can think of no other destination worthy of excursions from Sokhna) I reckon your driver can simply join the convoy for the extra protection - but transfer operators will know whether this has to be confirmed in advance. And their advice may be that it's safer not to go with the convoy.

Even at times of heightened tensions - in Egypt & most of the rest of the world - the prospects of coming to harm are very very low.

So I suggest you put away your worry-beads, but heed safety advice - including the advice of your transfer operator.

Bonne chance

JB 🙂

How did you transfer between Cairo and Sokhna.  Did you have a hotel in Cairo?  My cruise isn't listed yet 🙂  Seems to be the only cruise they don't make arranges 🙂 

On 10/28/2022 at 2:00 AM, SFtraveller said:

And it's at the beginning of Ramadan. 3 pax.

On 10/28/2022 at 2:00 AM, SFtraveller said:

And it's at the beginning of Ramadan. 3 pax.

Do cruise ships change their schedules for Ramadan - for example, we arrive in Aqaba 4/3/23 at 9 AM, would we arrive earlier - how do we stay in port until 11 PM  and Petra closes at 6 PM.  Just enough time for a 9 hour tour 🙂 

2 hours ago, kessdarln said:

No they wouldn't change the port times. From my little research the locals are changing their eating times. So please don't eat or drink in front of them. They accommodate Westerners by putting clothe up on the restaurant windows or put up a screen.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SFtraveller said:

No they wouldn't change the port times. From my little research the locals are changing their eating times. So please don't eat or drink in front of them. They accommodate Westerners by putting clothe up on the restaurant windows or put up a screen.

The ship doesn't serve alcohol when in Saudi Arabia.  Beyond the visual treasures, this will be an amazing cultural journey for sure 🥰

On 11/30/2022 at 9:15 PM, kessdarln said:

How did you transfer between Cairo and Sokhna.  Did you have a hotel in Cairo?  My cruise isn't listed yet 🙂  Seems to be the only cruise they don't make arranges 🙂 

Sohkna was a port of call, we took ship’s excursion to. Cairo & back to Sokhna same day

JB 😀