Passports for kids (13 & 15)

eboon

We have decided to cruise this July to the Bahamas w/the kids but they do no have passports. Can we cruise w/out passports and use their birth certificates this time? Is it a pain or no?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to apply now for the passports. As kitty said you will need them after December of this year and you might as well have them if you do decide to cruise or fly next year. You have plenty of time to do this. Also its true if your DC is going to be 16 you will need a state issued ID card for them. IMHO it would just be easier to get the passports and not have to worry for the next ten years.

Dave:eek:

I Have A 9 Yr Old Daughter And Was Told She Has To Have A Picture Id Along With Her Birth Certificate. Is This True?

A photo ID is required by persons 16 years old or older.

From Carnival's web site:

"In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID."

From RCCL's website:

"Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID."

So I'd say no, it's not true.

kitty

IMHO it would just be easier to get the passports and not have to worry for the next ten years.

I also think that passports are the way to go!! And it would just be nice to have them in the event that you see a really good deal to go somewhere when they are required...and risk not getting them in time! At this rate, you'll have more than enough time to apply for them and get them back! Also, there is the speculation that the price will go up once they are "required" and I imagine that the turnaround time too, will be longer. (My DH and kids' just got their passports back in 5 and 6 weeks respectively. I got mine pre-9/11 so mine had only taken two weeks!)

And, I just wanted to add, that although adult passports are good for 10 years, the kids' ones are only good for 5 years at a time.

And, I just wanted to add, that although adult passports are good for 10 years, the kids' ones are only good for 5 years at a time.

We just applied last week for our 2 kids' passports. Our 12 year old's passort is good for only 5 years but our 16 year old's is good for 10 years.:)

My kids was 13 and 17 and I was told to have a BC and picture id for both of them. To be on the safe side i would make sure I had both before trying to board. Hate to know you got to the port and they turned you away because you didn't have the right things.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to apply now for the passports. As kitty said you will need them after December of this year and you might as well have them if you do decide to cruise or fly next year. You have plenty of time to do this. Also its true if your DC is going to be 16 you will need a state issued ID card for them. IMHO it would just be easier to get the passports and not have to worry for the next ten years.

Dave:eek:

I agree with Dave that it is just easier to have passports for the kids, these days, although not cheap. Be prepared to pay around $100 each. Also, only passports issued to people 16 and older are good for 10 years. Under 16 only good for 5 years and really only about $10 cheaper.

Also, anyone with AAA memberships can get their passport photos at their local office. Free with premium membership and around $15 with regular membership. They have the paperwork at AAA also.

Happy family traveling.:)

we leave on 4/0 on MOS and I thought well we will go ahead and bite the bullet and do the passport thing. well little did i realize that i would have to pay an expedition fee due to it takes 6 weeks to get back passports. Well there are 5 of us and it was almost 800.00 bucks. so make sure you apply early.:eek:

Archived