Miami International Airport to Fort Lauderdale Port

Crustyrabbit

My husband and I are flying into Miami International Airport to pick up a Cruise at Fort Lauderdale Port.  Would be grateful for any suggestions please as to transport from the Airport to the Port (or even Fort Lauderdale Airport where we can book an hotel).  Many thanks

9 minutes ago, Crustyrabbit said:

My husband and I are flying into Miami International Airport to pick up a Cruise at Fort Lauderdale Port.  Would be grateful for any suggestions please as to transport from the Airport to the Port (or even Fort Lauderdale Airport where we can book an hotel).  Many thanks

You'll want to ask/research on the Florida departures forum.   Lots of hotel/transportation info available.    Here is the link for you:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will give a quick overview right here :).  You have 3 basic options.  1.  Taxi   2. Uber/Lfyt and 3. Some kind of shared shuttle transportation.  Uber/Lyft will take you from your pick-up place of choice to wherever you want to go and do it for as little as 1/2 the price of a taxi.  To use Uber or Lyft (similar but competing companies) you need a Smartphone...their App, and you must set-up an account. It only takes a minute to set-up accounts with Uber and Lyft.

If you want to use a taxi you simply walk outside of the terminal and head to the nearby taxi queue.  For Uber/Lyft you must generally go to a designated place (there are signs in the airport) for pick-up.  But when you use the App you can interact with the driver and establish an exact pickup spot.

As to shared shuttles, there are several companies that have an online presence and you can find them by simply Googling MIA Airport Shuttles.  The shuttles are always less expensive than a taxi, but not much cheaper than Uber/Lyft if you are two or more persons.  Shuttles can also mean having to stop at multiple hotels before you finally are dropped at your own hotel.

As you might have guessed, my own choice is to use Uber/Lyft.  In fact, we recently did this when we needed to go from the Port of Miami to FLL.  The cost of that Lyft ride was about $28 and with tip it cost us $35.  I believe a taxi would have been at least $50.  Recently, the Miami taxi system abandoned their "fixed price" system for certain routes and now do everything based on the meter.  This is a lot more expensive, and that meter can really cost you if you get stuck in a traffic jam (pretty common in South Florida).  Uber/Lyft give you a set price (it shows on the App before you make a commitment).  I have a personal bias against South Florida taxis because we have had two very negative experiences when taxis tried to rip us off by taking the wrong (and must longer) routes.  Since I have lived in south Florida I generally know the routes (and one can also pull up the best routes on any smartphone.  I assume that most taxis are honest, but I prefer the lower cost and fixed pricing of Uber or Lyft.

Hank

• Like 1

Another option is Tri-Rail which operates trains directly from Miami International Airport's Rental Car Center to Fort Lauderdale Sheridan Street station, Fort Lauderdale International Airport station and Fort Lauderdale (Downtown) station. The airport station is also closest to Port Everglades. While the Miami station is at the airport, the Fort Lauderdale airport station is near but not in the airport and you'd need to check your hotel to see if they'd pick you up. But Tri-Rail also offers free shuttles to locations near their stations.  

Information:  https://www.tri-rail.com/

Do be sure to differentiate between their weekday and weekend schedules.