FYI. Arriving at San Diego Cruise port important information

lais

Here are some options for you....places to sit, eat, drink, and relax adjacent to the pier.  Hazelwoods and Claim Jumper are across the street.  Carnitas is between Broadway Pier and B. St. Pier.   Portside Pier (Brigantine, Ketch, Portside Coffee, Miguel's, and Topside Terrace) are just a short walk north along the embarcadero.  

David

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

Here are some options for you....places to sit, eat, drink, and relax adjacent to the pier.  Hazelwoods and Claim Jumper are across the street.  Carnitas is between Broadway Pier and B. St. Pier.   Portside Pier (Brigantine, Ketch, Portside Coffee, Miguel's, and Topside Terrace) are just a short walk north along the embarcadero.  

David

Thanks David! Very helpful.

I wouldn’t go to claim jumper’s.  Service was dismal there on Saturday morning.  I got there around 8am.  It was maybe 1/3 full.  It took the guy about 20 min to offer coffee, another 10 min to get water.  They brought me someone else’s breakfast and they looked at me like I was nuts when I said it wasn’t mine.  When I finally got mine about a half hour later it was cold.  Didn’t bring things I asked for.  I said you guys are really struggling today.  He said they were slammed because “everyone” (his words) got off the koningsdam and came there for breakfast.  Yeah that happened.  People are going to skip a free breakfast to pay $20 for crap.  I gave the guy 40 cents tip and would have given him nothing if I had change.  This is only the second time in my life I haven’t left a tip.  I wouldn’t go there again.

• Like 1

It is an option; however, we met about 3 weeks ago and had a nice lunch at 1:30 pm.  The Royal Princess was in port that day.

"Now Hiring" signs are posted at many, many establishments.

If you are not in a rush to cross the street, the portions are large....enough to share.

And you'll have a great look to see how the lines are progressing at the terminal.

The outside dining area has about 100 seats, and I was not pressured to order anything.

Claim Jumper is just one of many options.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

It is an option; however, we met about 3 weeks ago and had a nice lunch at 1:30 pm.  The Royal Princess was in port that day.

"Now Hiring" signs are posted at many, many establishments.

If you are not in a rush to cross the street, the portions are large....enough to share.

And you'll have a great look to see how the lines are progressing at the terminal.

The outside dining area has about 100 seats, and I was not pressured to order anything.

Claim Jumper is just one of many options.

David

I have to believe anything would be better than that.  Cold food and rude service doesn’t top my must haves for places I eat.  If that works for you that’s fine.  It’s extremely rare to run into that kind of service at home.  If I do I don’t go back.  Lack of staff is not my problem.  Everyone is stretched thin.  Some of us deal, the rest make excuses. 

10 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Omg! Hal must be happy.  That's about 200 over ship capacity from what i can see.  Is that even possible? Thank you.

The listed capacity is based on double occupancy.  That number can go higher when you have 3 or 4 in a stateroom.

58 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Great.  😞  We just booked this yesterday.  Oh well.  

We were on the K-dam thanksgiving cruise last year.  While there were more children on board than usual, they were well behaved.  Of course that cruise was at 60% and this year's will be full.  You will have a great cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDARCH said:

We were on the K-dam thanksgiving cruise last year.  While there were more children on board than usual, they were well behaved.  Of course that cruise was at 60% and this year's will be full.  You will have a great cruise.

Yes that's going to be a huge difference.  

21 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes that's going to be a huge difference.  

Ahhh... the good ol days right after covid when cruises were partially booked.  I'll miss those days.  🤣

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

This info probably doesn't belong here but we have to tender into puerto vallarta tomorrow.  That's a first for me.  I'm not happy and none if the staff I've talked to is either.  Hopefully this won't be the same next week.

PV is our Sunday scheduled stop.  But, I was thinking it would be nice to see Old Town.  You have other intel or anything you want to share about PV?  Just curious.  OHHHH, I missed key word TENDER!!!

Edited by AKJonesy

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

This info probably doesn't belong here but we have to tender into puerto vallarta tomorrow.  That's a first for me.  I'm not happy and none if the staff I've talked to is either.  Hopefully this won't be the same next week.

Are there a lot of ships scheduled for puerto Vallarta tomorrow?  Or did they tell you the reason?

2 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

PV is our Sunday scheduled stop.  But, I was thinking it would be nice to see Old Town.  You have other intel or anything you want to share about PV?  Just curious.  

Sunday? Are you sure about that?  I believe it's Wednesday.  No Intel.  Rumors were circulating about this yesterday.  Today we had a letter confirming it.

4 minutes ago, lstrong said:

Are there a lot of ships scheduled for puerto Vallarta tomorrow?  Or did they tell you the reason?

They say because of heavy marine traffic.  I can only find 3 shops there tomorrow including us. I didn't spend hours researching though. Because we are the smallest ship we pulled the short straw.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

They say because of heavy marine traffic.  I can only find 3 shops there tomorrow including us. I didn't spend hours researching though. Because we are the smallest ship we pulled the short straw.

Interesting because there isn't a lot of traffic in or around that area on Marine Traffic  https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-115.8/centery:32.8/zoom:8

They say that the Hampton Inn is a 7-minute walk to Pier B.  Is that about right?  Is this a manageable walk with luggage?

Also, it was stated above that 4 & 5 Star Mariners are allowed to check in at when check-in opens regardless of your assigned check-in time.  Is this correct?  Thank you

IMO, the walk from the Hampton Inn is manageable with luggage if you don't have more than one wheeled luggage per person plus a small carryon that fits on top of it. 

Don't know the answer to your second question as it appears San Diego is stricter then other ports.  

3 hours ago, 2LoveBikes said:

They say that the Hampton Inn is a 7-minute walk to Pier B.  Is that about right?  Is this a manageable walk with luggage?

Also, it was stated above that 4 & 5 Star Mariners are allowed to check in at when check-in opens regardless of your assigned check-in time.  Is this correct?  Thank you

If you are 4* let the staff know.  It’s a challenge for them to see the 4* designation on the boarding pass.  Most are aware of the 4* status, some may not be.  Arrive at your boarding time and you should have an easy boarding process.  After you check in and are told to sit in a particular area, ask if the ship has begun boarding.  If it has, you can proceed to board because you are 4* or above.  Priority boarding seems to mean nothing in my recent experience.  A lot of cruisers will probably be 4*.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 2LoveBikes said:

Yes. That is correct. I am 5* and just cruised out of SD last week. You can go at any time, as long as it is after 10:30 am. Only if you are 4 or 5*, though. 

Edited by dmcfad2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2