Ncl Gem suite question, deck 9

cruzinmama2

Hi there. I have recently booked cabin 9170 on the Gem for the spring. The description for this deck and deck 8 states concierge and butler in SOME. I cannot get an answer clear from the representative at NCL, but perhaps someone who has stayed recently in one of these can tell me if they include the butler/ concierge services? 

2 hours ago, cruzinmama2 said:

Hi there. I have recently booked cabin 9170 on the Gem for the spring. The description for this deck and deck 8 states concierge and butler in SOME. I cannot get an answer clear from the representative at NCL, but perhaps someone who has stayed recently in one of these can tell me if they include the butler/ concierge services? 

NCL began inserting that language prior to the pandemic as it changed the categories of some of the non-Haven suites on the Jewel-class ships effective Fall of 2020 (for example, carving out the Deck 10 aft-facing Penthouses into their own [and more expensive] category; previously, all of the aft-facing Penthouses on Decks 8-10 had been in the same category).  Then the pandemic hit and I don't think anything more has really been said about the "concierge and butler in SOME" language (which is absurdly vague).  Most important, as far as I have seen here, no one has reported since the return to sail that those suites have NOT included butler and concierge services (although it is possible that the non-Haven suites may not have 24-hour butler services). 

Enjoy your suite and the Gem!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

I suspect that the aft suites on deck 8 would be the first to not recieve butler services as decks 9 and 10 have owners suites in the forward portion of the ship and nothing on deck 8. I have not cruised in a suite since spring of 2020 - prior to the new catagories being formed. 

8 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I suspect that the aft suites on deck 8 would be the first to not recieve butler services as decks 9 and 10 have owners suites in the forward portion of the ship and nothing on deck 8.

Except that the aft-facing Penthouses on Decks 8 and 9 are in the same booking/price category.   Also, the aft-facing Penthouses on Deck 10 do get butler services, and those suites are much closer to the Penthouses on the two lower decks than anything in the forward portion of the ship. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I suspect that the aft suites on deck 8 would be the first to not recieve butler services as decks 9 and 10 have owners suites in the forward portion of the ship and nothing on deck 8. I have not cruised in a suite since spring of 2020 - prior to the new catagories being formed. 

We sailed in an aft penthouse on deck 8 2 weeks ago.  We had concierge service and supposedly had butler service though we didn't meet the butler until day 4.  So yes, it's included but it seems that many butlers don't want to bother walking that far. 

We had similar issues with a butler in 2019 on the 10th floor aft penthouse. 

4 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

We sailed in an aft penthouse on deck 8 2 weeks ago.  We had concierge service and supposedly had butler service though we didn't meet the butler until day 4.  So yes, it's included but it seems that many butlers don't want to bother walking that far. 

We had similar issues with a butler in 2019 on the 10th floor aft penthouse. 

If that kind of non-service happens (and if the butler service is important to you), you should speak to the concierge. 

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

If that kind of non-service happens (and if the butler service is important to you), you should speak to the concierge. 

Agreed.   And we did a few years ago the first time it happened.   They switched butlers to someone amazing  

This time, we didn't really care.  We felt the overall service had a significant drop and had decided to take a break from NCL sailing on our remaining bookings.   Instead,  we simply had the tip reflect the level of service we received and used the money we saved to tip others on the ship that went above and beyond.