First timer questions

mousefan73

Hello! In a few days we said sail on the virtuoso which will be our first Msc Cruises. So far so good I did the online checkin and have in the back of my head I need to do the health certificate day of. I have some concrete questions.

1. Does the app fully activate once on board only? I had assumed with the app or the website I can then select my dining and showtimes now. On the app I do show my purchases that include to excursions and two Carousel shows. Leading to next question…. 

2. How do I book dining and showtimes? Is it a mad rush when people board to guest services to do this? Any tips on how to go about doing this or does the app activate once onboard?.

3. What deck do we board? The reason why I ask is that we are on deck eight and I’m wondering if we could  walk off with luggage, do they allow walking off with luggage?

4. Is there limits to what you are allowed to carry on? My past experience on other lines is basically if it fits in the security scan machines   you can schlepp  it on.

5. I read that the pools are heated. I understand there’s an indoor pool but my mother needs easy entry and that’s the outdoor pool. Are people  swimming this late into the season? Is it possible to swim in November on the pool deck outdoors? Is the water warm enough? 

6. What time are state rooms available? I’m used to sailing  cruise lines like Disney where everyone embarks say day- they block off the state rooms until they are ready. This cruise seems to be switching out people at every port   

7. any other tips on what we should do when we get on board right away? We just want to book the Mexican restaurant a couple of times and make sure we get good showtimes as we pre-purchased the carousel show with the drink. BTW wasn’t necessary for us to purchase these tickets?? I have a feeling you can just be a Gosho to the shows if there’s a space available or is a ticket required to view it? At least we get a drink out of it lol

thanks!

Edited by mousefan73

1. yes, full functions only while on board

2. via the app, whilst on board, or via big screens (at least for shows, I don't know about dinner), also whilst on board

3. that differs from port to port, but most often deck 4. Yes you can do a self disembarkation, if you do not wish to wait till your luggage has left the ship before you do, and then again in the terminal to pick up. If you don't want to carry your luggage down the stairs, you could always use an elevator. Because your cabin might not be ready when boarding, I would suggest not to do a self embarkation (I don't even know if that is possible).

4. There are limits, and exceptions, but do remember you will have to carry it along with you until your cabin is ready

5. On my last cruise 1 pool was heated, 1 wasn't (or just very little). This was in may in the Med. They will close the pool when there is bad weather. So in the current season, be prepared for the outdoor pool not to be open every (hour of the) day.

6. Even if passengers can board at (almost) every port of your cruise, there are often some ports that are more busy than others (Genua, Barcelona, Southampton and Hamburg being the bigger ones). In those port you might have to wait longer, since more cabins need to be cleaned. We once boarded around 11:00 and our cabin was ready somewhere at 13:00. Our luggage arrived somewhere at 15:00.

7. I've never been on Virtuosa, or any of the sisters, so I can't be ship specific, but I would suggest for you to start with ohhs and ahhs while walking around the ship, and then sit back and relax with a drink and maybe a snack.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

BTW wasn’t necessary for us to purchase these tickets?? I have a feeling you can just be a Gosho to the shows if there’s a space available or is a ticket required to view it?

We were just on Meraviglia.  For the Carousel shows, you are checked in at the door by ushers with iPads.  You must have a paid reservation in order to get into the show.  They close the access ten minutes before the show, so don't be late.

• Like 1