Are sailings close to capacity?

New2cruise2022

I am traveling on the Bliss 1/22/23-1/27/23. Recent pictures being posted make things look like maybe the sailing isn’t near capacity. Of course, those kind enough to share may purposely be taking pictures during quieter times to show more ship and less people. 

For those traveling that have definitely been on sailing when the cruisers were packed in, do you think it is any less crowded right now?

• Like 1

The fall period is historically a slower season for cruising. Same with your January timeframe.

We haven't been on NCL since Corona....prices too high and much better values elsewhere, in our opinion. We've been watching Breakaway Nov 6 14 day reposition from NYC to New Orleans for a last minute booking. Hundreds of cabins available, but true to FDR word, prices have been maintained at high levels. So, the ship will sail with lots of empty cabins and we are driving to Florida for a two week land based vacation! Hope you have a great cruise!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

Why not ask them if they deliberately photographed the ship to show less people on board?  The way this is worded you almost sound accusatory.  Like someone’s trying to dupe you. 

For the record: Not accusing. Not feelings of being duped or misled. No worries that people are misrepresenting. Just curious. This is me asking anyone — those who have posted, those who have not — if the ships are typically less full right now. 

I’m grateful to everyone for sharing pictures, insights, tips, and opinions. Only here for information and fun, civil discourse. Sorry if the query communicated something else. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

The fall period is historically a slower season for cruising. Same with your January timeframe.

We haven't been on NCL since Corona....prices too high and much better values elsewhere, in our opinion. We've been watching Breakaway Nov 6 14 day reposition from NYC to New Orleans for a last minute booking. Hundreds of cabins available, but true to FDR word, prices have been maintained at high levels. So, the ship will sail with lots of empty cabins and we are driving to Florida for a two week land based vacation! Hope you have a great cruise!!

Thanks for the heads up! First cruise here. We have been exclusive land and air vacationers forever. Florida is so great this time of year. A favorite destination for us as well! Enjoy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Two of three of our last cruises on NCL were at capacity. 

I’m thrilled to hear this. I can see how someone might like a cruise less crowded for obvious reasons: shorter lines, more space, more chairs, etc. But the reality is that a healthy industry brings better service and resources across the fleet if the parent company is managing correctly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I am traveling on the Bliss 1/22/23-1/27/23. Recent pictures being posted make things look like maybe the sailing isn’t near capacity. Of course, those kind enough to share may purposely be taking pictures during quieter times to show more ship and less people. 

For those traveling that have definitely been on sailing when the cruisers were packed in, do you think it is any less crowded right now?

Just off the Pearl yesterday. At our CC meet and greet, the Hotel Director said there were 1783 passengers. Ships stated capacity is 2394. So about three quarters full. Never ran into big crowds anywhere, and never a wait for anything.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Two of three of our last cruises on NCL were at capacity. 

And yes, I try to respect people’s privacy and not photograph them being stupid or looking inappropriate. 

Or at least not post them publicly.  It's nice to have memories on file of the things one has seen in the places one has gone...😘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

It's going to depend on the cruise and the timing.  I was on NE/Canada a couple weeks ago and was told they were around 2900 pax, so a bit <75%.  Spring break to the Caribbean, probably 100% 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

It's going to depend on the cruise and the timing.  I was on NE/Canada a couple weeks ago and was told they were around 2900 pax, so a bit <75%.  Spring break to the Caribbean, probably 100% 🙂

There are a lot of variables with NE cruises. Historically (pre-pandemic), some have be packed,,, some lightly loaded. Back when they used to post demographics, the average of passenger age was in the mid-/high-60’s. They are when school is in session so fewer cabins packed with 4 passengers. And they are not the beach/party destinations that some seek. And the demographic is one where some may be wary about sailing due to COVID. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Just had a Look into our bliss Panama canal cruise.

Some free stateroom, not so much.

But a lot of free haven....

NCL try’s to sail with their suites full every cruise. Even in the old days before automated bidding, NCL would sell upgrades manually. 

17 hours ago, Nilbog said:

Or at least not post them publicly.  It's nice to have memories on file of the things one has seen in the places one has gone...😘

Yes. If you are a frequent visitor to Cruise Critic, you may have seen one of The Bird’s live posts (4-6 times a year). The Bird tries to provide CC members photos of the ship she sails. But what happens on a cruise ship should stay on a cruise ship. 

20 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

And yes, I try to respect people’s privacy and not photograph them being stupid or looking inappropriate.

20 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

If your camera happens to catch me being stupid, I consent to its use!  📸 🕺🏿 

Same here.  There is a photo passenger "a" enjoying his drink package (without hurting anybody) and passenger "b" glaring at him as judge and jury.  Which person is being stupid and inappropriate?

• Haha 1

It looks like all the penthouses on the Sun for December 14 are sold out.   I’m not sure why they’re still offering upgrade bidding.  Maybe they hold a couple, or perhaps someone canceling in the last 2 weeks is typical.  But it makes our cruise look at least fairly full up.  All thats left are standard balconies and interiors. 

• Like 1

It looks like our 12/23 holiday sailing on the Prima is close to capacity. There are no cabins left in any category for 3 passengers, and if you are sailing with 2 passengers, you can only get a guaranteed balcony or a sailaway balcony, no specific ones left to choose. In Haven, the only thing left for 2 people is the Haven Penthouse with balcony, all other categories sold out. There are ocean views left in several categories with rooms available to choose, but for insides, it's only inside guarantees left. 

We will find out some hard numbers tomorrow (Nov. 8th) as NCLH's third quarter earnings call is then. NCL is hoping to be at 85% capacity. Maybe they will hit that target. Maybe they won't. 24 hours from now we'll know. 

I am kind of thinking they will not hit the number. Come throw some tomatoes at me tomorrow if I'm wrong. In September I went on a cruise that was at about 35% capacity. I've seen many others on here stating numbers around in the 60% and 70% range. Wall Street hasn't taken notice of those numbers which is why I may be wrong.

NCLH's stock has pretty much climbed since the Q2 earnings call where Frankie boy Del Rio stated they'll continue the "market to fill" strategy...at least until final payment date. That's how we got great deals in April and September on our Haven cruise.

We're not at final payment date on our March cruise. I'm watching it closely to see if we should cancel the cruise or keep the room we have booked. Haven prices are under $2,000 per person (entire cruise), and that's the magic number. You don't often see the Haven selling under $2k. 

Anyway, I agree with you @New2cruise2022! I want the capacity numbers to go higher. I enjoy the value proposition of NCL and want the company to continue on in the future, despite having Frankie boy as CEO. I do guess I have to give him props though. He has been very forthcoming in alerting cruisers that NCL will continue to price gouge customers. My husband keeps me firmly floating with NCL and a happy husband makes me a happy man!