teeth whitening on board

deppong

I know this has been asked before but I would like to start it again. Has anyone ever tried the tooth whitening on board. Is it just like the dentist or is the dentist better? Any side effects ie: sore gums/mouth?

My husband is going to get it done on the mariner next week. I had it done a year ago in a dentist office. I can tell you for me it was extremely painful. there were three treatments about 15 mninutes each with a 5 minute break in between. Mid way through the second part, I was ready to jump out of the chair. I was never in so much pain. after it was done, for about 12 hours, it felt like I was being stabbed in the gums. The nerves were so tender and the gel they give you for it did not help. Luckily the next morning, they felt much better. i would never do it again.

pwr - I can't imagine that your DH is willing to do that after you described the pain!:eek:

deppong - A coupla cruises ago, one of my tablemates had the teeth whitening done. She said it was a breeze, and never had any complaints about pain or soreness. (Different technicians may do things differently?) Anyhoo, the drawback was that she couldn't enjoy red wine at dinner for two nights, and no coffee or tea for two days. They said it was a big no-no. She said she wished they had told her that before the treatment.:rolleyes:

I think it depends how sensitive your gums are...I had it done and it was not the most compfortable procedure in the world but ok...I have never had it done in dentist office and probably won't have it done again.

My husband had it done on our cruise recently. Although he had no complaints (and they did offer him an "additional", to the tune of $60'ish... substance that he could put on his teeth before having red wine or coffee), there didn't seem to be any after effects at all. I'm not really sure that there's a huge difference in the whiteness of his teeth, I don't have a before & after picture, so I can't say for sure. It would have been nice, however, to see a noticeable difference. I have done the bleaching thing through the dentist & you can see a difference with that. Bottom line... if it's a good price, go for it! He paid $99 for the treatment & as mentioned went for the additional products for a total of somewhere around $170.

Princess is talking $199 for the treatment. How much do the dentists charge. Those of you who have had it done, Did you notice a difference?

If you go to a dentist who uses trays as opposed to lights, it costs about $400 or so. I don't know about light activated processes.

They custom-make from a mold, these clear plastic trays that fit right over your teeth. The DDS gives you a professional bleaching gel, along with a schedule, to get the result you are looking for. You have those trays for the rest of your life and can purchase a tube of bleaching gel from your DDS every year or 2 for touch ups. Yes, you can drink wine, and eat things like blueberry pie, withut fear of ruining the results, because you can always touch up occasionally.

You get what you pay for. The results should be noticeable! It's important that a professional monitor this. It shouldn't be painful to the point described above. Some people do have sensitivity if they overdo it, or bleach too often. Using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth every day helps.

I don't think I would have this procedure done on a ship. Just my opinion.

A Dentist is a Doctor... I would trust a Dentist before I trusted a technition on a foriegn ship in foreign waters.

Also, I think pain is an indivisual thing. I never get shots or gas when the Dentist drills my teeth for a filling. It's not that painful. In and out... with no after effects.

Get you whitening done by a Doctor... not a technition.

If I were going to do that I'd do it at home incase there are "side effects". You wouldn't want to ruin your cruise with sore gums or whatever. Plus it'll probably be cheaper at home, and, you'll have your pearly whites all ready for your pictures.

I believe that the big national chain that does the whitening charges about $500-$600. So perhaps that is the reason people choose to do it on the ship if they only charge a fraction of the cost.

Archived