Strait of Gibraltar Question

ajtraveler66

We will be at port in Motril, Spain on April 27.  Overnight into the next day...at some point we will be passing through the Strait of Gibraltar enroute to Cadiz, Spain.

For those of you who have been on cruises that pass through the Strait, will the ship give you an idea as to the 'precise' time when that 'passing through' will occur?  We are figuring that it may very well be in the middle of the night...and some in our party will be willing to set alarms if such is the case just so we can experience it.

Passing through the "Strait' was one of the reasons we picked this cruise.  Cadiz has lots to offer...and knowing the answer to my Gibraltar question will help us to determine what excursions we might take in Cadiz.  (There is a whale/dolphin watching excursion that goes out into the Strait ... but if we get to see the lights of Africa from the ship as we pass through the Strait....we'll probably opt to select another excursion).

Just off the Star - captain announced the anticipated time, not sure it was otherwise noted if you missed the announcement. I seem to recall it was sometime after midnight.

I signed up for the whale excursion, it was cancelled by the operator the day before, presumably because of predicted bad weather.

• Like 1

Gibraltar is a very cool town. Worth the visit if time allows. Great history. The crazy baboons all over the rock. A unique visit for sure. Cadiz is a great town to experience. Lived there for a year and never got tired of walking on cobblestone and experiencing the shadows of a world from long ago. It is a tough town to navigate if mobility is an issue. When I lived there an older women from a cruise ship had a nasty fall on the street and broke her hip. Visited her and her husband in the hospital for a week while I helped them communicate in a foreign country. (They didn’t have travel insurance. Would not recommend.)