Pearl Deluxe Owner Suite: Shade, Umbrellas, and Looking for Impressions - Thanks!

amygutman

Good morning - 

Less than a month until our bucket-list Panama Canal cruise. After watching JimZim's video, we splurged for DOS 15000 with hot tub as it seems to be the best place to look at those engineering feats. From the reviews it looks to have an amazing balcony but no shade. I was wondering if anyone has had luck obtaining a large weighed umbrella for the balcony.

We asked the pre-concierge about an umbrella (she has been amazing in nailing down all of the other trip details), but was told "it was at the discretion of the concierge crew and captain" and would pass on the request to the ship concierge. Anyone know the odds of the request being fulfilled? It's not even close to a deal-breaker as I love the sun, but my husband and 13 yo son prefer the shade. Won't take a bit of joy away from a trip we have been waiting over 2 years to happen!

We are seasoned cruisers, but would love to read thoughts about this suite or it's mirror DOS 15500 for those who have stayed in it (Panama or elsewhere). My husband is worried about "night-time visibility" from the ceiling-to-floor windows overlooking the pool as he and kiddo do like walking around in boxers. I'm giving up my usual "mom-bathroom" for the balcony (we usually do Haven 2 beds / 2 baths), and prefer a door vs a curtain separating the living space, but hey...you won't hear a complaint from me as we are super blessed to be on this trip.  

Thanks in Advance, Amy

We've stayed in the DOS on the Gem.  We did have an umbrella with a weighted stand, but there were some days that we couldn't use it.  If it's especially windy, it can be a safety issue even with the weighted stand.

There are times throughout the day when depending where the sun is, there are shaded areas on the balcony.

There are curtains and shades that make the room very private and block the suite from the view of others outside.

It's a fabulous suite.  Enjoy!

7 hours ago, goldmom said:

We've stayed in the DOS on the Gem.  We did have an umbrella with a weighted stand, but there were some days that we couldn't use it.  If it's especially windy, it can be a safety issue even with the weighted stand.

There are times throughout the day when depending where the sun is, there are shaded areas on the balcony.

There are curtains and shades that make the room very private and block the suite from the view of others outside.

It's a fabulous suite.  Enjoy!

Thank you so much for your reply. 

Great to know both about the umbrella and the shady areas...husband gives his thanks to you as well. It's so funny - you would think between the butler and housekeeping stopping in the room unexpectedly, he would know not to troop around in his unmentionables, but for clearly the line was drawn at mooning the entire pool deck 😂

We appreciate the information!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1