The Garden Cafe — The Best of It

New2cruise2022

On 11/13/2022 at 6:52 PM, CruzinMel said:

Oh, you have just raised my hopes tremendously - this is my first gluten free cruise (I got diagnosed with celiac in 2021) and I am going to cross my fingers, braid my hair, and pray to the cream soup deities that the kitchen wizards can make this gluten free!!!  I know it's a simple thing, but sometimes, it's the simplest things that are the best. 

If I can wrangle this soup, and those little cheese bread thingies from Moderno (they are made normally with tapioca flour and cheese, which means they are a GF goto as long as the cheese is freshly shredded - bagged pre-shredded cheese is sometimes very lightly coated with flour, which I already knew because it means it doesn't work if you make cheese straws with it. . . but I digress.)  Cream of cauli soup and cheese breads, maybe a salad?  I'll be a happy cruiser!  Thanks!

I have cruised gluten free several times on Norwegian. Contact special needs dept in advance and let them know you are celiac.  They were able to make pretty much anything gluten free for me. I am pretty sure they can make your cauliflower soup.  When you go to the buffet let them know you are celiac.  You don’t want to risk cross contamination.  If they can, they  will make whatever you want to order for you.  It will be much easier for you if you have someone on board that knows your dietary needs that can keep you safe.  

• Thanks 2

On Joy from NYC to Bermuda, October sailing:

- phenomenal Indian, every day, lunch and dinner services. Try everyting! 

- a surprisingly delicious and pretty well executed Beef Wellington. I went back for seconds!

- delicious and well executed salmon "Wellington" with salmon, sautéed spinach.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JaynBNA said:

On Joy from NYC to Bermuda, October sailing:

- phenomenal Indian, every day, lunch and dinner services. Try everyting! 

- a surprisingly delicious and pretty well executed Beef Wellington. I went back for seconds!

- delicious and well executed salmon "Wellington" with salmon, sautéed spinach.

Beef Wellington. I would probably give it a pass without an endorsement like yours. I’ll put it in the give it a whirl column. 

28 minutes ago, Cruise-mom said:

Anybody know if Escape has a crepe station? We loved it on the Getaway but they didn't have it (we never saw it) on Epic a few months ago.

Going on the Getaway soon- can you please tell me when crepes were served? Lunch, dinner, after dinner? Every night? Sea days only?   Love crepes…

30 minutes ago, happythoughts said:

Going on the Getaway soon- can you please tell me when crepes were served? Lunch, dinner, after dinner? Every night? Sea days only?   Love crepes…

It's been a few years so may have changed but it was at the late night buffet.

1 minute ago, Cruise-mom said:

It's been a few years so may have changed but it was at the late night buffet.

Late night crepes do sound delicious. But even if they didn’t want something that delicate, I think a late night pancake party sounds great. I used to love having breakfast at 2 AM after a night of drinking. 🥞 🍻 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Yikes. 😬 

Yup, the only time I felt like I needed to say something to someone on a cruise . I was behind them said something to the effect what you just did was pretty gross and I hope you don't do it again. Behind me which I didn't realize was an officer who also saw it. He pulled the person aside and read them the riot act

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cruise-mom said:

Anybody know if Escape has a crepe station? We loved it on the Getaway but they didn't have it (we never saw it) on Epic a few months ago.

They did in February. It was way in the very back of the buffet and we just got lucky to find it (nothing else was open back in that area). They were available at both lunch and dinner.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

They did in February. It was way in the very back of the buffet and we just got lucky to find it (nothing else was open back in that area). They were available at both lunch and dinner.

Sometimes you have to work to have the best things in life. Try to hide from me crepes, I dare you. 

On 11/13/2022 at 7:52 PM, CruzinMel said:

If I can wrangle this soup, and those little cheese bread thingies from Moderno (they are made normally with tapioca flour and cheese, which means they are a GF goto as long as the cheese is freshly shredded - bagged pre-shredded cheese is sometimes very lightly coated with flour

If you don't mind cooking, the cheese bread is very easy to make. I use a recipe from Plain Chicken. I haven't had the ones from Moderno to compare but we really enjoy them homemade. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, Laszlo said:

Hopefully everyone has learned Not to pick up food with their bare hands, even worse... pick it up with bare hands, smell it and then put it back.....  🤢

I am still traumatized by the time I saw a fully grown man pick up a cookie with his bare hands, bite it....and put it back on the tray!  😬 

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2022 at 10:56 AM, Sphilli2 said:

If you don't mind cooking, the cheese bread is very easy to make. I use a recipe from Plain Chicken. I haven't had the ones from Moderno to compare but we really enjoy them homemade. 

I've had the tapioca flour for a while and I keep forgetting to make it....but it's good to know it works - thanks!

On 11/17/2022 at 10:24 AM, Cruise-mom said:

It probably wasn't on Epic's buffet, probably down in Cocos where you get to pay for them now.  Bliss and Encore also have no crepes in the buffet.  Need to pay for them in Cocos.  Part of NCLs plan to increase onboard spend, no doubt.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PATRLR said:

It probably wasn't on Epic's buffet, probably down in Cocos where you get to pay for them now.  Bliss and Encore also have no crepes in the buffet.  Need to pay for them in Cocos.  Part of NCLs plan to increase onboard spend, no doubt.  

Thanks for the update. A bummer to be sure, but it is a business. When I get off the Bliss I’ll know if the inclusive offerings provide the experience I want or if it simply costs more beyond the price to reach the value I want. 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, YVRteacher said:

Yes, they have crepes on the Bliss.

Really?  In the buffet?  They didn't have them in June 2018.  And they didn't have them last week on Encore.  Both Bliss and Encore they are paid for items in Cocos.