Princess Cays DIY snorkel

OhioScubaGirl

You are wise to not waste your money on a snorkel excursion at princess cays.  There is "ok" snorkeling if you go to the right (while facing the water) .  There is a spot with another little pier, further down the beach with a red roof, you will find some snorkeling here. There are lots of large rocks here where you will find some fish and most people snorkel here.  You can continue snorkeling along the shoreline where the crowds thin out, visibility gets better because of less people.  I usually get in the water by the red roof pier and go all along the shorline until I come to the spot where it is roped off and then swim/snorkel my way back.  The entry can be rocky. so you might want some water shoes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with Topspot, enter by the red gazebo and swim away toward the far end. I've seen octopi, lots of blue tangs and other assorted tropical fish, barracuda, etc. If you're lucky enough to have it be low tide the depth isn't more than 10-15 feet unless you go out by the coral heads under the rope at the farthest distance from the beach. Not Roatan nor Bonaire, but certainly enough fish, sea fans, etc to make it worthwhile. 

• Like 1