Easing into longer cruises...

RICHARD@SEA

After many cruises since 1975(I was a baby) and a 16 day Transatlantic crossing my longest - I just booked a 21 day Euro cruise where I'll spend a week in London before boarding the ship.  I was thinking of doing a full world cruise but covid put the breaks on that(I recently had one cruise cancelled the nite before sailing, by the cruise line, due to a high # of covid cases onboard).

Now i find myself looking at longer cruises & even spending a month or 2 on a ship floating around someplace warm during the winter.

I now use the ships more as a mode of getting from point a to b... Transatlantic  crossings instead of flying & then travelling on land to the places I want to see,

is it a symptom of getting older or just that its so easy to do these days...anyone else finding themselves doing this???

Edited by RICHARD@SEA

• 4 weeks later...

In 2019, I did a 2-month cruise from Los Angles to Dubai, only changing ships in Singapore. During that time, I also organized several private tours, where we went to destinations that the ship's excursions do not go to. People really enjoy those special tours.

I personally enjoy long cruises and exotic destinations. Now my eyes are on Greenland and Iceland. And if this trip comes, I will organize also some special tours again 😉

On 11/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

is it a symptom of getting older or just that its so easy to do these days...anyone else finding themselves doing this???

I would like to think, no… it’s not about getting older.  I feel it’s more about not only wanting to have longer vacation experiences, but also having the opportunities to be able to do so.  

Our next cruise is 17 nights, Australia/New Zealand… we’ll be away from home a few days shy of four weeks so yes, we’re definitely doing what you described. We always look for cruises that are longer than seven nights and if we can’t find one that suits us, we always extend on the front and back ends.  

The only exception to that would be Bermuda, Canada, or other cruises where there is no flying involved to get to/from the cruise port (Cape Liberty NJ or NYC).

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 11:46 AM, DenGNNJ said:

I would like to think, no… it’s not about getting older.  I feel it’s more about not only wanting to have longer vacation experiences, but also having the opportunities to be able to do so.  

Our next cruise is 17 nights, Australia/New Zealand… we’ll be away from home a few days shy of four weeks so yes, we’re definitely doing what you described. We always look for cruises that are longer than seven nights and if we can’t find one that suits us, we always extend on the front and back ends.  

The only exception to that would be Bermuda, Canada, or other cruises where there is no flying involved to get to/from the cruise port (Cape Liberty NJ or NYC).

Thats funny   - I too try to avoid the 7 day or less cruises - even for Bermuda - next time I'll do 2 7 day cruises...Bermuda is wonderful.

Also it seems that it doesn't matter the # of days...it all goes too fast.  Your australia cruise should be wonderful...its definitely worth extending since its such a long flight...enjoy evrty minute.

We did a 19 night Transpacific cruise in October of 2019 from Hawaii to Australia.   It was our 30th anniversary cruise and as we'd probably not get there again, so we also added on and did a b2b;  another 9 nights round NZ.  It was an amazing time for me/us.  Age had no factor in it as the ship was very diversified.  You'll love it.