Carnival Venezia - May 29, 2023 Transatlantic

mik0227

On 11/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, LuvtoCruise50 said:

Booked this the first day it was available! This will be our first TA and first time visiting Barcelona. The Venezia looks beautiful and we’re looking forward to this so much!

We booked this the first day as well. Going this direction this time of year is very unusual (except for Cunard), so we wanted to take advantage of it. We've enjoyed past cruises on Costa, and I'm curious to see what Carnival does to incorporate "Italian flair." I think we also *finally* make Diamond status on this cruise, but I have to verify. If so, Woo Hoo!

Hello, I'm Ed. My wife Pam and I are from Orlando and Asheville (snowbirds). Looking forward to seeing you all. We will be returning on 3rd leg of East/West TA transit.  Leaving Miami 4-20-23 on Celebrity Silhouette then the HAL Rotterdam 21day Baltic before departing Barcelona. First time on Carnaval, level 4 Mariner on HAL.

• Like 2

Hi folks, I'm considering a basic balcony cabin on deck 6 or 7. This will be our first transatlantic cruise, and we have not been to any of the ports. Considering the itinerary and season, how would you compare the experience on the port side vs. the starboard side? Any difference at all? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Hi everyone! Just got off the Celebration so now I can focus on this one! Coming from SW Michigan, taking the redeye from Chicago-Ohare, non stop. First time flying overseas, have always sailed from the US. Not very familiar with Spain, so time to brush up on my history!!! Looking forward to getting to know you!

On 12/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, mfjj said:

Hi folks, I'm considering a basic balcony cabin on deck 6 or 7. This will be our first transatlantic cruise, and we have not been to any of the ports. Considering the itinerary and season, how would you compare the experience on the port side vs. the starboard side? Any difference at all? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

I personally always choose a port side cabin when doing a westbound transatlantic -lots of sun as balcony is facing south and beautiful sunsets in the evening!  

But as well I am pickly about location so always check out what is above and below me to avoid any noisy areas/public venues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njsonja said:

We just booked this. Found out they don’t have mini fridges in the balcony rooms (maybe others). Anyone else hear this?  

Well that is not good news?  I am wondering if they will add them during the retrofit?  I found this youtube video of a balcony cabin on the Venezia and definitely no fridge, but that space/door at the vanity which has 2 shelves could possibly fit the small fridge?

Guess we have to wait and see during the 'reveal'?  LOL

Edited by Froufie

We are considering this TA. We were last on the RCCL Jewel (TA). It was our first TA. We really enjoyed the relaxation. There were very few children onboard that one. In fact the ship was only half full. If we book this one we will be trying to use our credits with Delta from COVID that expire the end of 2023. I like that this TA is out of sync with most TA's. I had even considered doing the another cruise to go over and then come back. But the only two I saw were the Anthem of the Seas (17 days between sailings) and the Disney Dream (fewer days but more than twice the price of the Anthem).

For those of you who have sailed TA's with Carnival, can you give me an idea of the numbers of children onboard? And my second question is with the change over, do you think it will be full? Help me decide. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mommymade.59 said:

For those of you who have sailed TA's with Carnival, can you give me an idea of the numbers of children onboard? And my second question is with the change over, do you think it will be full? Help me decide. Thanks!

I have been on many Carnival TA’s.  Typically there are not many children onboard.  On the recent Celebration TA there were only about 100 kids.  However, with the Venezia sailing late in May, schools will be out in many areas and there will likely be a lot more kids.  The ship is selling very well, with suites and OV’s already sold out, so I think it will be full or close to it.  Nancy

On 12/7/2022 at 10:42 PM, Froufie said:

I personally always choose a port side cabin when doing a westbound transatlantic -lots of sun as balcony is facing south and beautiful sunsets in the evening!  

Ahh... the sunsets. Good point. Thanks!

• Like 1

At the moment, we’re planning to fly into Paris and spend a day there before taking the train from Paris to Barcelona. We’ll have a couple of days to see as much of Barcelona as we can before sail day on the 29th. Anyone have any ideas for hotels, and suggestions for getting to the port on the 29th? I thought about staying close to airport, but not sure how that would be for getting to tourist areas. Please share your ideas, I’d love to read them!

CARNIVAL UNVEILS NEW DETAILS FOR VENEZIA — A lot of new details have been now announced as to how Carnival will fit the FUN into this ship while leaving much of the Italian style in place fortunately.  Many great new concepts are also being added.  And,  yes, as asked above, they will be adding mini fridges and standard power outlets with USB plugs to the staterooms.  This is definitely going to be an exciting ship to sail and explore all of the options.  Do watch the video for renderings of the spaces and additional details.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LuvtoCruise50 said:

At the moment, we’re planning to fly into Paris and spend a day there before taking the train from Paris to Barcelona. We’ll have a couple of days to see as much of Barcelona as we can before sail day on the 29th. Anyone have any ideas for hotels, and suggestions for getting to the port on the 29th? I thought about staying close to airport, but not sure how that would be for getting to tourist areas. Please share your ideas, I’d love to read them!

The airport in Barcelona is about a 20 min. drive to the center of town where much of the tourist areas are located.  I would recommend you stay near the Gothic Quarter, somewhere close to La Rambla (the central avenue) where you get a good sense of the history, culture, and architecture.  From there it is just a few min. taxi ride to the cruise terminals.  It's possible to walk but the pier is VERY long and is connected to the mainland by a VERY long bridge.  So, it's better to get a cab.  Barcelona has a very extensive and modern subway system that can get you most places you will want to go, as the city covers a very large area.  Make sure you visit all of the Gaudi sites.

• Like 1

Saw the video and happy to hear about the fridges and USB additions to the cabins.   Th Terrazza outdoor area looks lovely but like Havana only accessible to the masses in the evening.

It seems there is no steakhouse so assume that the 'soon to be announced' Italian Specialty Restaurant will be the replacement?  And so waiting to make specialty dining reservation I guess?  (hoping they still off that free bottle of wine on the first night LOL).

...and I was wrong!  Looks like the steakhouse (among other usual Carnival eateries will be onboard this ship) - from a posting by John Heald:

Eat, Drink and Enjoy the Flavors of Italy
Guests will find signature Carnival restaurants and bars on board Carnival Venezia, including the steakhouse Fahrenheit 555, Bonsai Sushi & Teppanyaki and the Chef’s Table, along with Lido Marketplace, Seafood Shack and Pizzeria del Capitano, Piano Bar 88 and Heroes Tribute Lounge. In addition, many Carnival mainstays will offer special Italian menu items on board – for example, gelato will join the popular coffee and snack options at Java Blue Café. Guests will also find delightful beverage and food offerings throughout the ship at several new or updated restaurant and bar concepts, including:
Dining Venues
Guy’s Burger Joint – Italian flavors and ingredients add new flavors to Guy Fieri’s famous burgers. Along with classic American burgers and fries, new menu items will feature an Italian twist, such as a pepperoni pizza burger and the Big Mozz – a burger smothered in melted mozzarella cheese.
La Strada Grill – Taste the best grilled Italian street food and sandwiches.
Tomodoro – Mexitalian fusion creations feature ingredients such as Italian meatballs and Sicilian chicken alongside traditional Mexican tacos and burritos, for breakfast and lunch.
Canal Grande and Marco Polo Restaurants – Both restaurants feature delicious three-course meals in spaces surrounded by elegant Italian sculptures and architectural designs, including a real-life Venetian gondola in one of them. Special Italian dishes will be featured, including favorites from Carnival’s signature Cucina del Capitano Italian restaurant.
New Specialty Italian Restaurant – In addition to the Italian dishes offered in the main dining rooms, an all-new dining concept is being created and more details will be shared soon.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 6:05 PM, LuvtoCruise50 said:

There is a lot of information on the Spain board.  Also, City Guide.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/465-spain-ports/

https://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_city_guide

19 hours ago, RoadTravelled said:

CARNIVAL UNVEILS NEW DETAILS FOR VENEZIA — A lot of new details have been now announced as to how Carnival will fit the FUN into this ship while leaving much of the Italian style in place fortunately.  Many great new concepts are also being added.  And,  yes, as asked above, they will be adding mini fridges and standard power outlets with USB plugs to the staterooms.  This is definitely going to be an exciting ship to sail and explore all of the options.  Do watch the video for renderings of the spaces and additional details.

Watched it yesterday.

Beautiful ship.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 9:05 PM, LuvtoCruise50 said:

I booked 2 nites at Hotel 1898.  I stayed there a few years ago and really liked it.  It's on La Rambla, so a good location.  One of the things I especially like about the hotel is the rooftop bar (and swimming pool, if one is so inclined).  It serves light food and starts serving it early.  I can't eat late, so I often have problems in Spain (and Italy).  The rooftop bar works well for me.  And what a great view!

Karen

On 12/12/2022 at 5:09 PM, Froufie said:

...and I was wrong!  Looks like the steakhouse (among other usual Carnival eateries will be onboard this ship) - from a posting by John Heald:

Eat, Drink and Enjoy the Flavors of Italy
Guests will find signature Carnival restaurants and bars on board Carnival Venezia, including the steakhouse Fahrenheit 555, Bonsai Sushi & Teppanyaki and the Chef’s Table, along with Lido Marketplace, Seafood Shack and Pizzeria del Capitano, Piano Bar 88 and Heroes Tribute Lounge. In addition, many Carnival mainstays will offer special Italian menu items on board – for example, gelato will join the popular coffee and snack options at Java Blue Café. Guests will also find delightful beverage and food offerings throughout the ship at several new or updated restaurant and bar concepts, including:
Dining Venues
Guy’s Burger Joint – Italian flavors and ingredients add new flavors to Guy Fieri’s famous burgers. Along with classic American burgers and fries, new menu items will feature an Italian twist, such as a pepperoni pizza burger and the Big Mozz – a burger smothered in melted mozzarella cheese.
La Strada Grill – Taste the best grilled Italian street food and sandwiches.
Tomodoro – Mexitalian fusion creations feature ingredients such as Italian meatballs and Sicilian chicken alongside traditional Mexican tacos and burritos, for breakfast and lunch.
Canal Grande and Marco Polo Restaurants – Both restaurants feature delicious three-course meals in spaces surrounded by elegant Italian sculptures and architectural designs, including a real-life Venetian gondola in one of them. Special Italian dishes will be featured, including favorites from Carnival’s signature Cucina del Capitano Italian restaurant.
New Specialty Italian Restaurant – In addition to the Italian dishes offered in the main dining rooms, an all-new dining concept is being created and more details will be shared soon.

The latest iteration of the deck plan on Carnival's site shows the steakhouse on Deck 5 along with the other eating options.

Our transatlantic cruise on the Jubilee out of London was canceled so we booked this cruise.  This will be our first transatlantic.  We have cruised out of Barcelona once. It is beautiful.  Plan to go a couple days early.

Nancy

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 9:05 PM, LuvtoCruise50 said:

We're getting off the MSC Poesia in Copenhagen and flying into Paris for a day or two then TGV to Barcelona for a couple of days. We were in Barcelona in October and stayed at the Hotel Jazz, a 5-minute walk to Las Ramblas. This time will stay closer to Sagrada Familia but haven't looked into hotels yet.

As far as getting to the port, take a taxi, reasonable priced.