Pulling away from the dock...Is there anything like it?

There's no feeling quite like when you first pull away from the dock. Knowing that nothing else matters, no one's going to call you. For the next seven days, there's not a darn thing you can do about anything, so why worry. Work, family, in-laws, out-laws, for 7 days they don't matter.

Except for missing my puppies, there's no "real world" thought that crosses my mind. Anyone else out there feel this euphoria? Tell me about it!

Euphoria! What a perfect way to describe that feeling...I feel wonderful every time but on a recent cruise on the Mariner I was having a great time just finally being on board but as soon as the ship began to move I told my DH I felt "giddy"...that up until that moment the ship was a giant hotel but once we were pulling away I felt like we were on a SHIP! (And that was on our 13th cruise!!)

Although I do enjoy the ship pulling away from the dock. For me the best moment is when I'm driving in my cab or bus and I can see the ship in the distance for the first time. It's like christmas.......it's just over this next hill...........nope the next one.........nope the next....ahh there it is. Seeing that ship be so tiny in the distance and watch it grow before my eyes. AAHH

Corona,

We're about 5-10 minutes from Pemberton...small world!

Cruisinmommas,

We've used Park Lane a number of times. They were right on time and the drivers have always been great.

Thanks everyone for the great comments and memories. Love the one about the foot massage! Keep 'em coming!

The best for me is pulling away from the dock in the Caribbean on a warm night about half way through the cruise. St. Thomas is my favorite. So relaxing, and if you have late dinner seating, the top decks are almost deserted. Great views.

Slam and Wraithe, you're making me sooo jealous!

When you have your drinks at the Sky Bar, ask for Archie. He's the most generous with the alcohol - we would have him "fix" the drinks that the pool waiters delivered. We met him during sail-away and for the first time on a cruise, we didn't make it to every bar on board. Thanks to Archie, we didn't want to go to any other bar.

Tell him hi from the cigar smoking, BBC drinking gang from last March. We still miss him. Hopefully we'll find a suitable replacement on Serenade this April.

Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, you bet I'll tell Archie hello for you. Whereabouts in OH are you? My SIL and her husband live in Poland, close to Youngstown, and the wife and I drove to Wright-Patterson for the AF Museum a little over a year ago. What a great tour. I really enjoyed that, but then, most airplane geeks would!Thanks for the heads up.

I agree, there is a wonderful feeling when you step on board. There is a great feeling to get that first drink of the day, at noon. There's a great feeling when you can finally get into your room and check it out. But without a doubt, the best feeling is being on the top deck as you pull away from the port. No more worries about your daily life. It all just blows away in the sea air that gently blows in your face. Ah, the sea air. One of the best feelings I have ever experienced. Maybe that's one of the reasons we keep trying to get back on a ship, any ship.

Huskerdude, are you from Nebraska, or just a big fan of the Huskers? If you're from there, have you ever heard of the Big Red Sub Club? They were an absolutely great group of people from Nebraska that supported the USS Nebraska. While I was stationed on that ship, we had regular visits from people in the BRSC, and they would sponsor 10 guys off the ship to come up every year for Nebraska Land Days. Of all the ships I've been stationed on, they were the best for supporting their state or city's namesake. Just thought I'd ask, hope you see this.

We watched sailaway from deck 12 on the Radiance on the pier side so we could watch the thrusters kick up the water. GREAT! Then I ran and ordered a double batch of onion rings from the seaview to munch on while we were leaving the port of miami. There was no line yet so I was back before we even passed Fisher Island. YUM! Sailaway is wonderful. No feeling like it!

I remember my first cruise...it was on the Celebrity Horizon - western Caribbean, and departed from Tampa. I wasn't sure if I was going to like a cruise, but I went into it with an open mind. When we left port, I was on the top deck, looking down at the pool, with the band playing, holding a Pina Colada in one hand and a good cigar in the other. People dancing, wind in my hair...we weren't a hundred yards from the pier when I decided that this wasn't going to be so bad after all. By the time we passed under one of the bridges - I was hooked.

We've had some great sail-aways. Mostly from our balcony. remember sitting on the balcony on Grandeur in '98 and on the cell phone with DD and could tell that she would be getting back together with the guy who is now the best SIL in the entire free world. Any sailaway from Ft. Lauderdale -- we always areserve port side so we can get the condo-sailaway show. Also being on Mariner last summer with SIL and 222 members of his family and having DD going from room to room sampling wines -- we love sailaway as the whole cruise is in front of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will be on the Navigator of the Seas out of Miami on April 1 and I can't wait. I have wondered several times where the best spot to be will be when we leave Miami -- on the deck or on our balcony (port side). I never thought about the ship's horn blowing until I read this thread. My son is very sensitive to loud noises, so I am wondering now if it would be best to not be out on the deck. If we are are by the pool or on the helicopter pad (if there is one) would the horn be too loud to someone very sensitive to loud noises?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kim

[quote name='Kim225']We will be on the Navigator of the Seas out of Miami on April 1 and I can't wait. I have wondered several times where the best spot to be will be when we leave Miami -- on the deck or on our balcony (port side). I never thought about the ship's horn blowing until I read this thread. My son is very sensitive to loud noises, so I am wondering now if it would be best to not be out on the deck. If we are are by the pool or on the helicopter pad (if there is one) would the horn be too loud to someone very sensitive to loud noises?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kim[/quote]

The ship's whistle is very loud by design, but I doubt you'd really notice it all that much on deck. You'd have to get in front of it for it to really be loud. That said, if he doesn't like loud noises, maybe up on deck wouldn't be the best place for him. You could give it a shot, and if he doesn't like the music and crowds, take him below decks to your balcony before the ship gets moving. If he's really young, the sights and sounds of the crowd may distract him enough to keep him from even noticing. Good luck and have a great cruise. After Mariner in April, I'm planning on Voyager out of Miami next January as the "next" cruise.

[quote name='Kim225']My son is very sensitive to loud noises, so I am wondering now if it would be best to not be out on the deck. [/quote]

Kim,
Why not make a game out of it before you go? Tell him about the big horn on the ship (there is a commercial on TV that features it, just as a guy is about to take a putt on mini-golf). Let him know that that big loud horn is the sign that your wonderful trip has "officially begun", and he needs to listen out for it. In other words, work him up so that it is something cool to look forward to.

One snag, you didn't say how old he was. Guess this wouldn't work for a tiny baby.
Tracy

Hi All!

June 23 we sail on Grandeur. It's our second cruise. On the first (Mariner 8/04) we missed sail away. I would love to see it this time. Is it possible to experience it and make early dinner seating? According to the itinerary, we sail at 4PM. Is that the exact time they set sail? If anyone knows, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks
Laurie

[quote name='LindaandJeff']We watched sailaway from deck 12 on the Radiance on the pier side so we could watch the thrusters kick up the water. GREAT! Then I ran and ordered a double batch of onion rings from the seaview to munch on while we were leaving the port of miami. There was no line yet so I was back before we even passed Fisher Island. YUM! Sailaway is wonderful. No feeling like it![/quote]

Linda & Jeff - we're sailing on the Radiance next month. Right now I'm going through chemo and my appetite has been a little "off" - but I have been craving Seaview Cafe onion rings. DH has promised to bring me a double order to our AFT balcony (woohoo!!!), so I can sit, sip and munch while we sailaway. I can hardly wait.:D

But, my favourite moment is when I step into our cabin and see my life-vest on the bed. Then, I know I'm home and my long shore excursion is over. There's no feeling like it.

Wraithe and Zotzer -- thanks for the replies. That's a good idea to get him excited about the horn. He will know that our vacation has officially started when he hears it. I just wanted to make sure that it is not going to be so loud that it will startle him -- that would not get us off to a good start. He is 10 years old and I am hoping that he grows out of this sensitivity. My nephew also had very sensitive ears when he was young, but has grown out of it. It sounds like if we are up on deck, he will hear it but it won't blow him away. The type of noises that really bother him are balloons popping and sudden loud noises. Hopefully it will be far enough away and he will so excited that it not bother him.

We are fairly new to cruising, but I love this thread. I can close my eyes and imagine the stress of everyday life floating away as we pull out of the port.

Thanks again,

Kim

[quote name='Kim225']Wraithe and Zotzer -- thanks for the replies.

We are fairly new to cruising, but I love this thread. I can close my eyes and imagine the stress of everyday life floating away as we pull out of the port.

Thanks again,

Kim[/quote]

You bet, hope it helps. I can't wait to get to the Mariner in a couple weeks. I've been active on our Roll Call thread and we've had a lot of fun lately. Looking forward to my first Meet & Mingle, missed the one on Grandeur since I didn't know about this board then. Good luck with it again.

Archived