NCL "Highlights of Taormina" Shore Excursion Question

ajtraveler66

For those who have taken the 4 1/2 hour shore excursion "Highlights of Taormina" ... did you have any free time or was it a regimented tour.  (We realize that to-and-fro travel accounts for some of that 4 1/2 hours).

We are trying to decide between "Highlights of Taormina" and "Taormina On Your Own".  I know for certain that we will choose "Highlights" as long as we know we'll have at least a little time on our own.  If not, we'll have to think on it.

Also ... Is "Highlights of Taormina" tour fast-paced, easy-going, or somewhere in between?  One in our group has moderate knee issues.  So we have to consider that as well.

Thanks ...  Regardless of what we choose, we are VERY MUCH looking forward to our 2+ hours in Taormina.  Praying for a beautiful April Day.

This is how NCL describes your "Highlights of Taormina" excursion:

After departing from the pier, you will have a short panoramic tour of Messina, pausing for photos of the glorious Cathedral of Messina, which dates to the 12th century. Besides being of historical interest, the church features an animated clock that was the world’s largest when added to the bell tower in 1933.

Continuing along the coast to the south, you will approach Taormina, an ancient city that rises almost perpendicularly from the sea. It’s a beautiful setting with an alluring medieval character, as you will discover while navigating its narrow, cobbled streets.

Among the highlights are the Arabian-influenced Palazzo Corvaja and the ruins of a 2nd-century Greek theater. It sits on a seaside hilltop with a view of Mount Etna that is so inspiring that it can detract from the entertainers that still perform there in the summer.

After visiting, you will enjoy free time to wander about the areas that interest you the most. You might take in the views from the fragrant public garden or shop along boutique-lined Corso Umberto. The most popular merchandise includes designer fashions, jewelry and colorful ceramic pine cones, a Sicilian symbol of hospitality.

It sounds exactly like the one I had several years ago. The bus unloads the tour at the commercial parking deck just outside the walls on the lower end. The guide will walk you gradually uphill, through the town, pointing out a few sites with maybe a couple of brief standing stops for some additional commentary. You end up at the other end of the town (it's small!) at the Greek theatre where you will enter and hear some more commentary. After that the tour part is basically over and the guide will tell you where to meet and at what time, then you're on your own for about 2 hours if I recall correctly...

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks, Cruisemom.  I remember you talking about this  a few months ago.  I just don't think I ever asked about the free time.  The wording on our excursion is a bit different than this one, but surely it hasn't changed that much from your experience.  I'm now hopeful we'll have that free time to enjoy some cannoli or granita.  And doing the tour, we won't have to mess with getting the amphitheater tickets on our own.

We are excited!