My questions have gone unanswered in Ports of Call Forum

Hey, everyone. I know that a lot of people have been on the Eastern Carib. itenerary, and there are crickets in the ports of call thread for St. Thomas. I did a search but got no answers, so I'm throwing this out in the hopes that someone would love to relive their memories and help me at the same time!:) This is what I posted:

Hi everyone. I'm going on the Navigator (Eastern Caribbean on the 2nd) in December (I know, sooo far away!) and was hoping for some input. I did do a search but its difficult to rate the comparisons. I was wondering if you could tell me which was the most fun, memorable, great for you:

Miniboating

Parasailing

Deep Blue Sea Helmet Dive

I am a poor, poor swimmer. I really cannot swim or tread. I took a class and passed, except for treading, and am going to take classes this summer at my local NYC parks and rec. I have been snorkeling off of CocoaCay once, and did okay. I'm just wondering if strong swimming is a prerequiste for any of these excursions. I would really love your input.

Thank you

Melody

Swimming, to me, means staying alive in the water. As I only have one arm that works, I don't go in the ocean/bay. I might, if I get brave, get in the kiddie pool.

Accidents happen, I WOULD NOT do any of these if I could stay alive/ afloat in the water!!! I am sure nothing would happen, but I would not chance it if I didn't know whether I could swim to shore or not! Parasailing doesnt require any swimming, but what if you slip out of the harness or life jacket (not likely to happen - but what if), could you tread long enough for a rescue??

We just did a kayaking, hiking and snorkeling tour in St Thomas, It was run at a nature sanctuary and you had to wear a vest the whole time and the water was quite shallow. so it was very safe and if you didn't feel comfortable ( like one person in our group) you just sit on the beach and don't do the snorkeling. I will post the name tommorrow.

Sue

Thanks for giving me some answers....even the one's about I better know how to swim:D Made me laugh...

Anyhow, I plan on taking my lessons again before we go. When I went snorkeling in CocoaCay, I was out there for 2 hours! I got sooo tired, and had to stand on some coral to rest for a while - that was pretty scary. But I can float pretty good and am okay at underwater swimming. I feel like I can keep myself up, just not by treading:rolleyes:

I've never done any of these activities, and I really appreciate your feedback about what you saw, especially of people who weren't good swimmers or were uncomfortable. I think I would feel confident miniboating with a lifejacket. And I thought the Deep Blue Sea Helmet dive (or was it the Bob) said no experience of any kind required but I don't know if they meant diving, snorkeling or (I hoped) swimming....

Again, thank you for the input, and I welcome even more.

Melody

Archived