Not Getting Off Ship at a Port on Norwegian?

Mr&MrsBennifer2022

You don't have to get off at every port. We did not get off the ship in Vancouver. It was a night port of call. We had the specialty dinner reservation at Le Bistro we were the only ones in the Restaurant. Then we went up to the Jacuzzi and again the only ones. It was really nice.    

On 11/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, Mr&MrsBennifer2022 said:

Cruise newbie.  Leaving in 10 days.  I know that arrival and departure times are estimates.  That said we are supposed to arrive in Tortola at 6AM and depart at 1 PM.  I am reading that you can typically get off the ship in about 30 minutes.  I am also reading that we need to be back 30 minutes before the ship leaves.  So that further reduces our time and frankly 6 AM is kind of early even for this early bird. Is it typical for passengers to choose not to get off the ship at a port?  Does the ship have things to do for the people who stay on?  I am thinking that maybe people who have mobility issues may choose to not get off at every port.  This may not be the correct Board for this.  Does anyone have suggestions for something that we absolutely must do in Tortola?  Ben is a big fan of sleep.  😆

Lots of repeat cruisers stay on the ship in various ports, but especially as a cruising newbie, I'd encourage you to experience Tortola. The island has has some of the best beaches in the Caribbean, and an excursion to the Baths in Virgin Gorda is a 10 out of 10 experience. 

Separately, on port days you'll notice ship programing is dramatically reduced. There will be a few things happening, but it won't be packed with trivia and activities like a sea day is. That said, it's often much easier to get a spot by the pool or in a lounge for quiet reading or relaxing. 

@Mr&MrsBennifer2022 I'd recommend the excursion to Jost Van Dyke.  Nice boat ride, spend a little time on a beach, get a painkiller and nice boat ride back.  All well within the ships time window.

I agree with BirdTravels, if this is the first time you are in a port, you should at least venture out and see something.  But, if you prefer to stay on the ship I think the message has been clear that you won't be alone.

• Like 1

I would recommend to at least walk around the area if it’s your first time. If you repeat the port on another cruise then you will feel better if you decide to stay onboard. I rarely go to GSC and other ports that I have visited a lot of times. The ship still has some activities that I go to like trivia, other games, a different movie each day, dance lessons and other activities depending on the ship and season of the year. They have more activities for the Christmas season.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:13 PM, grobma said:

Surprised no one has also mentioned that spa services are discounted on port days 😄

Correct!  It's an excellent day to get a massage!  Or maybe you can just lounge by the pool!  I guarantee you won't be bored!

Elvis