Taieri gorge railway excursion 2023

CU64

1 hour ago, Wookie01 said:

If the train trip is $50 to $65 on non ship days, and $500 for cruises then that is ridiculous.
I am keen to do this trip but if our cruise (Celebrity Edge) offers it at even half of this they can shove it.😠

I booked this excursion and then canceled it. It was close enough to $300 from the ship. Since it's $60 when not booked out by a cruise, that amounts to $240 for a return bus trip from Port Chalmers to Dunedin station and back.

When I had a think about it, I decided I didn't want to be taken for a ride. 🤨

I'm a tourist, not an ATM for the cruise line (I wish!).

• Like 7

On 12/2/2022 at 9:21 PM, Ondine said:

We just did the train trip on Grand Princess last month (8th Nov I think).  I believe we were the first to do this post covid shut down.  They have cobbled together what carriages they could manage in a hurry, some better than others and it was organised at the last minute with Princess.  It cost us AUD$299.95 each through the ship.  We were bussed to Dunedin and then the trip went as far as Hinden and back then bussed back to the ship.  The volunteers running the train were ecstatic that were there again.  This time there was no wine served on board, just the lunch pack.  Coffee and drinks were available in the buffet car at a reasonable price.  We had a great day.  I have previously done the full trip some years ago but my son hadn't and wanted to go.  I was not disappointed.

Pity that the station is covered in plastic but they were close to shutting everything down so it is good to see some life again.

Celebrity eclipse currently has best price I have seen for this excursion 

@244 per person. Some cyber event has all excursions 35% off.

I'm booked on the train trip through Holland America. They are charging $199 (US dollars). There is no information at all on their excursions page, just the name of the trip and that it is 4 hours.   I used my credits to book it, because I really wanted to do this trip, but I can understand people being reluctant when compared to the previous prices offered by the railway line direct. They also can't expect many passengers to book when they don't even tell you what to expect. A bit of positive publicity for this excursion in advance would be a good idea.  I'll probably find they will cancel it due to lack of support.