QM2 Capetown to Fremantle

Has anyone sailed this route? I am looking at a cruise leaving CT in February 2024. This is in the middle of the cyclone season affecting Madagascar, Reunion and Mauritius. This is a Cunard QM2 cruise. I would welcome information about this route, the timing and about the QM2. We have only cruised on HAL todate.

Hi Sailnsurf

We did 22 day QE Cape Town to Melbourne 19th Jan - 10th Feb 2019.

We flew to Johannesburg Sth Africa, stayed overnight then on to Cape Town, stayed a week in Cape Town, then the QE to Melbourne.

The cruise was excellent for the weather we experienced, and port stops were Port Elizabeth, Reunion Island, Mauritius, Fremantle, Busselton, Adelaide, and Melbourne. All great ports to visit.

We would do it again, especially the stay in Cape Town.

We hired a car there, and as they drive on the same side of the road as us, it was very relaxed.

Drove all over the place, always felt very safe and welcome.

Hope that's some help with your planning.

Regards

QM2 is a special ship (or she was for the three times I have been on board). I just love her. The concerts and lectures were fabulous and were tailored for the region sailing through. Food in the MDR had improved from the first cruise and was generally excellent. We had a hosted table on one cruise which was wonderful; in hindsight my companion (Pushka) and I should probably asked for a different table on the third cruise as table mates were strange to say the least and one person had a real chip on her shoulder against Australians. There were always plenty of cultural activities for sea days and I would love to be on her again. 

18 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

Has anyone sailed this route? I am looking at a cruise leaving CT in February 2024. This is in the middle of the cyclone season affecting Madagascar, Reunion and Mauritius. This is a Cunard QM2 cruise. I would welcome information about this route, the timing and about the QM2. We have only cruised on HAL to date.

If your referring to what Cunard is like to travel on, its like any other line, it depends on your cruising preferences are/experience's/use to, I'm in my 70's and happiest on Princess as it suits my cruise wants. Cunard is quite similar, but a little different, P&O Aust. definitely not my cup of tea.

Haven't sailed any others yet. Don't know what HAL's like to compare.

But what ever I'm sure you would enjoy Cunard, as long as you like quite classy cruising.😁

Thank you Ozwoody and Aussieflyer for your helpful replies. The weather information will I think give my wife the comfort she needs. We have cruised many areas where bad conditions could be experienced if unlucky but she does not want to take silly chances. HAL is a great line but is losing a bit of the illusion of exclusivity that somehow it managed to give. We are still very loyal to HAL and like her smaller ships. While QM2 has the same capacity as HAL Pinnacle class my research suggests she feels less crowded and that Cunard probably does feel a bit more exclusive. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

Thank you Ozwoody and Aussieflyer for your helpful replies. The weather information will I think give my wife the comfort she needs. We have cruised many areas where bad conditions could be experienced if unlucky but she does not want to take silly chances. HAL is a great line but is losing a bit of the illusion of exclusivity that somehow it managed to give. We are still very loyal to HAL and like her smaller ships. While QM2 has the same capacity as HAL Pinnacle class my research suggests she feels less crowded and that Cunard probably does feel a bit more exclusive. Thanks again.

Your welcome.

One thing that may be of interest, is that Cunard still run First and Second Class passenger services.

To access some passenger areas of the ship you have to have grill suite cabins (First Class).

And the ship is a more exclusive feeling to it.

I,m sure you would enjoy it.

regards

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

I'm sure you already know this but seeing as you're concerned about rough seas I'll just point out that the QM2 is an ocean liner and therefore very stable in rough seas.

I don't know what HAL is like but on Cunard be prepared to dress for dinner.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, Sailnsurf said:

Has anyone sailed this route? I am looking at a cruise leaving CT in February 2024. This is in the middle of the cyclone season affecting Madagascar, Reunion and Mauritius. This is a Cunard QM2 cruise. I would welcome information about this route, the timing and about the QM2. We have only cruised on HAL todate.

My husband and I sailed QE from Capetown to Fremantle some years ago with another couple.  Port Elizabeth, Reunion and Mauritius.  We did a ship’s tour in Port Elizabeth to the elephant sanctuary. It was wonderful.  Loved seeing the elephants so close, as well as other animals.

The seas were calm the entire cruise.  During the many days at sea, there were great lectures.  Cunard is excellent in this regard.  A former Concorde pilot was able to present all ten of his talks over ten days.  I like to dress up, but my husband didn’t, but he took a dark suit and moaned!  I didn’t like that during the many sea days, were were still kicked out of the bar at 6:00pm because we were wearing shorts when the early diners in tuxes started coming in!  

Because of the extended days at sea, we were allowed to buy a duty free bottle of spirits to drink in our cabin.  On Cunard you can also buy mixers ashore and bring back on board.  I carried a slab of Diet Coke back to the ship so my husband could have his bourbon and Coke.

Meals were very good.  Our waiter would often bring an extra main course for everyone to taste.  We had a fun table, fortunately.  If you like HAL, you should like Cunard.  QM2 is bigger, of course, but special.