Celebrity Cruise vs Norwegian (NCL)

Vicente__

Hi all,

I am planning my first next cruise for next year and need some advice on which one to go! So I'm stuck between two cruises that are within my budget range. One is a Celebrity Pride at Sea cruise that will set sail for the month of June. They will have a pride party onboard and some lgbtq entertainment on board, which sounds so fun! I am eyeing the one going to the Alaskan Glacier (I heard Alaska is beautiful, especially the glaciers).  

Another trip I’m eyeing is with Norwegian (NCL). I see they have a fantastic deal on a European Cruise in the fall, it's a pretty great deal with airfare included! Actually the same price as the Celebrity cruise (wow!) I’ve been meaning to go back to Europe again (studied abroad during college) so this looks like a great deal especially with the deals. 

I am stuck on which cruise to book. Both sound like such a great experience. I am trying to figure out which one to get the most bang with my buck. I’ve heard the food and overall experience on Celebrity is better than NLC. I also want to be around LGBTQ folks, so it seems that the Pride at Sea will be better for that. Not sure how NLC is and how well attended they are by LGBTQ folks. But the price on NLC is so good right now and it will sail through Spain and France.  This will be my first time going on a cruise and hopefully not my last. I am in my mid 20’s, love to travel, and have an old soul so i dont mind being around older folks (actually prefer and like older folks better than younger gays). Any advice on which one to choose?

Edited by Vicente__

Hey...not EVERYONE on NCL is OLD.  My partner and I mostly cruise on NCL.  They do have Friends of Dorothy ( LGBTQ+) nightly meetups.  Believe me, you will not have a problem meeting other " Family" members, even if you don't go to the meet ups.  As for the night life,  the disco is kind of lame ( I just don't like the music played), but I don't think anybody cares if you dance with the same sex, or just dance alone if you feel the groove.  In all my 20+ years of cruise on NCL, we have never had any uncomfortable moments as a gay couple.  Of course we don't hold hands or kiss in public ( Im old school in that area), but everyone has been friendly.  And yes, Alaska is BEAUTIFUL.  

• Like 1

My partner and I, along with some friends did Alaska in 2019 on NCL and didn't have any issues. We did the friends of Dorothy meet up the first night and spoke throughout the cruise and stay connected through Facebook. Our group of friends has a cruise booked for Iceland on NCL next summer.  

We did have the Celebrity pride sailing booked for 2020 on the Apex. I was really bummed that one ended up getting canceled because of the pandemic.

Pride in Alaska for sure.  Alaska is amazing, Celebrity is an awesome cruise line, and you’ve already been to Europe.

Not for nothing, European cruises are a dime a dozen … every cruise line does them.  If you pass up the Norwegian European cruise, chances are you can do it again, possibly on Norwegian or another cruise line again the following year for a similar price.

If this is going to be your first cruise, make it special.

Edited by DenGNNJ

• 1 month later...

I'd say hands down Celebrity, all day long. Didn't care for my experience on NCL. Service on Celebrity is leaps and bounds better than what we experienced n NCL. We may never do another NCL cruise again, but never say never. 

I think there is a difference between the two lines, and you will find "family" on any ship, at any time.  Some sailings will have more than others, but we are always there.   Celebrity is a bit more upscale and for an old soul, I think it would be preferred.  I would stick with NCL if you want an active Caribbean cruise. 

• 1 month later...