Walking/hiking in Canadian ports

I'll be on a cruise in June, ports of call are: Montreal, Quebec, Charlottetown/Prince Edward Island, Sydney/Nova Scotia, Halifax/Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor/Maine and Boston. Before the cruise we'll be visiting Washington, New York and Montreal so I image by the time the cruise starts I'll have had enough of towns and will be looking for some quiet areas and nature.

Are there any trails for walking/hiking close to the ports? I prefer walking own my own/in a small group rather than being on a ship tour and herded along.

With exception of Boston really all of these cities are walkable and Boston is but just not near where you docked.. Quebec City and Halifax are actually better navigated on foot and lovely cities to walk in.. Ile d'Orleans near Quebec City is a good hiking option or near Montmorency Falls (I think there are still paths there). Charlottetown is lovely town, again.. you can walk a lot there without a car to "begin"... suggest you get a copy of Frommer's Canada or for the individual cities or just google "hiking" and city name.. you will probably find sites and books that will help. Bar Harbor's nearby Acadia Nat'l Park is hiker's dream IMHO

when you arrive in sydney itself has no walking trails in side the city limits but there are several trails located near baddeck that are simply breathtaking. One trail goes near a set of fantasic falls about 10 min. outside of baddeck. the trails are well off the beaten path so you won't be bothered.

That sounds just like what I was looking for, especially “off the beaten path” - as long as there are signs and I'll find my way back. :) How do I get there from the port? How long are the trails, how difficult are they?

I'll be in Sydney on Wednesday, June 28, 8:00am to 6:00 pm. That leaves about six to seven hours, as I probably won't be off the ship before 9:00am and I don't really want to arrive at the last minute.

What about the weather, what can I expect?

if you need any other info onthe trail please eamil me I give you all the info you need.:)

How? :confused: :) Quote: Capebreton has no contact information.

With exception of Boston really all of these cities are walkable and Boston is but just not near where you docked.

We'll stay in Boston for a few days after the cruise, so it doesn't really matter where the ships dock. So, no problem there.

... suggest you get a copy of Frommer's Canada or for the individual cities ...

Thanks for the suggestion, I found one that was published in 2004 and one that will be published in May 2006 (Frommer's Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island). I'll either order it before leaving home or buy it in Washington or New York; anyway, I'll have something to read on the train ride from New York to Montreal. :)

Bar Harbor's nearby Acadia Nat'l Park is hiker's dream IMHO

Great, I'll put that on my to do list.

• 2 weeks later...

I travel to Halifax on business on a regular basis and its a great city for walking/jogging. I stay at a hotel downtown and jog the waterfront boardwalk which goes past the cruise ship dock. I also jog out to a great park "Point Pleasent" which has great trails for walking/jogging - its about a mile from the cruise dock - the opposite direction from the downtown area.

there are walking trails in Dartmouth (across the harbour from Halifax) Shubie is a nice place for a walk..and it connects to the trail across from Mic Mac Mall...I'm sorry I don't have an actual name for it...If I can figure it out I'll let you know

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Halifax and I for a nice "hike" in the are I would recommend Point Pleasant Park (http://www.pointpleasantpark.ca). It would probably be best to take a cab ride there, considering you are only in Halifax one day. A few years ago there was extensive damage done during Hurrican Juan - a huge portion of the park was flattened, but the restoration work has been outstanding. It's a great place. You actually pass it on the way in. It will be on the left (port?) side of the ship at the mouth of the harbour. It's a place people go to watch the ships leave. Since you enjoy walking, just walking around the city's boardwalk around the waterfront is great. Lots to see and do.

Enjoy your time here!

Another option in Quebec City is to walk the length of the wall that surrounds the Upper Town. It gets steep in parts, so is a pretty good workout. And, you get to see a lot of the sites in the process. I believe it took us about 3-4 hours, but we made a quick stop for lunch.

Archived