Accessible Taxi in Boston

510picker

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, cruisn43 said:

@510pickerI'm sorry I don't have any information about accessible taxis in Boston, but I'm hoping you can help me.  Who do you use for wheelchair accessible taxis/transfers in Fort Lauderdale?

You can get an accessible taxi from the taxi stand, which is just outside the baggage claim area. You may have to wait a few minutes, but they will come. Same thing when you get off the ship, except it's a police officer that will call the accessible taxi for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:04 AM, cruisn43 said:

Who do you use for wheelchair accessible taxis/transfers in Fort Lauderdale?

We just had a wheelchair accessible taxi pick us up at the cruise ship port in Fort Lauderdale yesterday.  This was a van with a ramp for the wheelchair.   The person who was in charge of organizing the taxis apparently called specifically for a wheelchair taxi.   We had to wait about 8 minutes for it to arrive.  I asked the taxi driver (it was Yellow Cab) how many wheelchair taxis they had and he didn't know but he said they had several.   I then asked how you request a wheelchair taxi, say, from your hotel to the cruise ship port, and he said to reserve it ahead of time.  We have used Yellow Cab numerous times in Fort Lauderdale (although we've have never had an accessible cab with them until yesterday) and they have been our go to cab company.  The cost between the cruise ship pier and FLL was under $12 (plus tip).   Here's their information.   Look at the wheelchair accessible section for the phone number.  

http://www.yellowcabbroward.com/our-services/  

When we're  back in Fort Lauderdale in April I'm going to try Yellow Cab's accessible vehicle reservation sysem for transportation from the hotel to the pier and see how it works.  

Uber has accessible vehicles called WAV (Lyft has the same thing) that might be a possibility.

https://www.uber.com/us/en/about/accessibility/

yellow.jpg

@kokopelli-azThank you!  Did you just exit the ship and get in the taxi line up? 

I have heard that Yellow Cab works well from the airport to a hotel.  Some people have had less than great results with getting from their hotel to the port on cruise day.  We'll give it a try in January, it just worries me a bit as we'd be stuck if they did not show up.

Is there room in the cab for the wheelchair user and 3 other passengers, or will we likely need a second cab?

14 hours ago, cruisn43 said:

@kokopelli-azThank you!  Did you just exit the ship and get in the taxi line up? 

I have heard that Yellow Cab works well from the airport to a hotel.  Some people have had less than great results with getting from their hotel to the port on cruise day.  We'll give it a try in January, it just worries me a bit as we'd be stuck if they did not show up.

Is there room in the cab for the wheelchair user and 3 other passengers, or will we likely need a second cab?

Yes, we just went to the taxi line-up.   The coordinator for the taxis must have specified an accessible taxi because we didn't ask for it.   So definitely request one from the coordinator.  The wheelchair takes up most of the room but as I recall there were two seats in row 2 of the taxi available and the passenger seat in the front.    When you make your reservation you might ask how many passengers (other than the person in the wheelchair) the vehicle can accommodate. 

If you reserve an accessible taxi in Fort Lauderdale, please start a new thread In the Disabled Cruise Travel forum and let others know your experience.  Accessible transportation is a topic that comes up often.  

TaxiListWAV.pdf

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 12:07 PM, 510picker said:

I used the Yellow Cab reservation system last November. We arrived the day before our cruise and I called from our hotel and asked for pickup the next day at 10 AM. The cab showed up as promised and it worked great.

Did you request an accessible cab or a regular cab?

29 minutes ago, 510picker said:

An accessible taxi. I called the regular number and when I said I needed accessible they gave me another number to call.

Their website says to call this number for an accessible taxi:   954-565-2800

Not the regular taxi number.   Anyway, I'm going to give them a try in April !    Thanks for the update.