Which ship/class to choose?

sollan

Hi

Have only done one cruise with Norwegian; Epic 2021. We liked the experience a lot - exept for the r-e-a-l-l-y odd layout of the cabin. Since 2011 we have done 14 cruises most of them with Celebrity and Azamara.

We are interested to try Norwegian again but it's quite difficult to find out which class or ships that would suit us the best though...  We are not interested in water rides, climbing walls and such activities. Just like to take it easy enjoying to be at sea...🙂

Very greatful if you have any input!

We loved the Encore and Escape.  Lots to do and the Observation lounge on the Encore was fabulous and never crowded.  We love the Waterfront on the Escape.  Both ships have the best show at sea Choir of Man!  We are going back on the Escape in April just to see this show again!  Food entertainment was great on both ships.

• Like 1

The Spirit is beautiful. It has a fabulous lounge/bar area at the front so you can see where you are going. I would say she would be ideal for Panama canal or Alaska or Norwegian Fjords if she is doing any of these itineraries when you are looking at going

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I generally pick my cruise by itinerary, value, dates and embarkation port. When people start talking about ship class I need to pull up info to figure out which ships are which class.

Our last cruise was on the Escape last February with a lower passenger count. Although nightly entertainment seemed to change daily with covid hitting staff, and many of the extras closed, we really enjoyed the ship. We wondered how crowded this would have felt at full capacity and questioned if we would want to be on this big of a ship when full. We tend to go for the older, smaller ships since we could care less about all of the "extras." Sailed on the Dawn when she was a newer ship and were very impressed at the time.

If you are choosing your cruise based on the shipboard experience only, pick the ship that best meets your priorities.

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Sounds like you might enjoy some of the smaller ships especially the "Jewel" class ships: The Jewel, Gem, Pearl and Jade.

This was what I was going to post also. Have been on the Pearl and Jade and while they are lovely ships, they are too small for my tastes.  I need the Waterfront, especially if I am in an inside cabin.

Ummm - Rather than stabs in the dark at what you might like based on a couple statements of what you don't like, how about telling which of the Celebrity ships you did or didn't like?  That might get us an idea of comparable NCL ships.

33 minutes ago, destar said:

The Norwegian Prima is a beautiful ship, observation lounge is huge, also lots of outside space and specialty dining.

Yes, I was also going to suggest Prima.  It's smaller than the Breakaway/Breakaway Plus but still has lots of great venues.   You really have to wander around the ship to see all of the different areas. 

The Indulge Food Hall is a great concept that we would love to see added to the larger ships if possible.  There are also plenty of deck chairs available on Deck 8 so we never went up to the main pool area.  The Observation lounge is lovely but smaller than those on Bliss size ships.

• Like 2

I strongly prefer ships with excellent observation lounges, so Encore/Bliss/Joy are my first choices.  On Encore/Bliss, DD can save a few $$ by booking a studio.  The Jewel class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Jade, Gem) are a close second.  I really like the aft facing great outdoors on those.  I haven't yet sailed Sun/Sky but have both scheduled and expect them to be similar to the Jewel class.  I don't like Epic, but that has nothing to do with the nice bathroom arrangement that is just too "different" for many.  POA is a POS, but fine for seeing HI.