Princess Or Rccl ???

The Princess Mini Suite is one of the best cabins for the $$ currently. The Junior Suite on RCI is very nice but it does not get you the suite ammenities of a regular suite. The CROWN PRINCESS promises to be a fantastic ship. We have enjoyed the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS and the STAR.

The RADIANCE Class ships of RCI are some of the most beautiful ships currently sailing. Neither RCI or Princess are great in the food department. You will receive plenty of institutionally prepared food on either one. You will not go hungry and sometimes you will find something that you really like. I prefer the food court on RCI RADIANCE Class ships over the Princess food courts...but there is not a huge difference...both have pluses and minuses.

There is a limited Concierge Service on CROWN PRINCESS...you can call them on the phone and make reservations to different restaurants. The Concierge Service on RCI is superb but you will not qualify for it in a Junior Suite.

Formal nights are nice on either SERENADE or CROWN. You will notice a good energy level on CROWN...the extra 500 pax makes for a more lively atmosphere...so you will find the night club going full tilt and all of the lounges in use...which makes for a lot of fun.

Either way I think you would have a great time.

ROSS

I have sailed both Princess and Royal Carribbean. In previous years I was blown away by Princess but now I find Royal Carribbean to more to my taste. Princess has more pools but they aren't as great as I used to think. On princess most passengers get personal choice dining which means you show up at one of the two main dining rooms and request to be seated so this is similar to NCL's freestyle dining meaning you don't have an assigned table. We found a great waiter on the Golden Princess and requested them each evening but this sometimes required us to wait as long as 45 minutes. Also, the clientele on Princess tends to be slightly older and tend to go to bed earlier. With that being said, I found the food on princess to be slightly better than Royal Carribbean and the shows were significantly better on RCCL then princess. Princess has beautiful ships but once you have been on one all of their new ships have the same interior decor with pastel colors and literally I could have convinced myself that I was on the grand princess instead of the Golden because almost everything was exactly the same down to the T. Princess offers more entertainment at night with regards to shows and musicians but I didn't find it nearly as good as RCCL. To each his own but for $560 I would probably choose RCCL as they are more to my personal taste. It all depends on what you are looking for.

We've sailed RCCL and most recently sailed the Sapphire Princess to Mexico. Radiance class ships are beautiful -- but the Sapphire was nice, too. We still find ourselves heading back to RCCL; this time for our next cruise in 11 days (but who's counting...) We tend to like RCCL just a bit more than Princess. We feel the service is better on RCCL. The only things I really liked in Princess was the pools were freshwater, and the free Lotus Spa shampoos & conditioners in our bathroom. I feel the food on both lines is pretty comparable.

I loved everything about Princess.....service, food, and PIZZA! But poster is right Mini suite is smaller than the jr. suite.

The pull out couch was the most horrible bed anyone could ever imagine....maybe it was just our room but it was beyond awful.

The frame was bent and the foot portion would not lay flat so your legs were crooked all night. The mattress was as thin as melba toast so we asked for an egg crate cover which helped a little.

I felt so sorry for my daughter. I would have traded a few nights but she obviously couldn't sleep with her father.

Otherwise we loved the coral princess.

Bob!....try Princess for yourself and make up your own mind.

Some of my thoughts....

Princess has "personal choice dining" Eat anytime between 5 and 10pm, no reservation.

Princess has fresh water pools, open 24/7

Coke cards are cheaper

Mini suites are cheaper than RCI JR suites

Don't know about the Crown but the balcony on the mini we had on the Caribean Princess was totally uncovered.

24hr buffet.....

We were able to get full breakfast in the mini suite.(just wrote it on the menu)

The "syrup" coffee is only in the buffet.

The excursions you book online prior to sailing are not charged till you get there. RCI puts them immediatly on your credit card.

We do consider RCI our favorite but Princess is not far behind.

I have not been on the Radiance class ship yet.....Alaska this fall on Radiance though.

BTW, atlcpl.....the crown was not used for the Love Boat shows.....

Have a wonderfull trip!

we're platinum princess members...we've sailed six times so far on all classes of ships. we've also sailed on the voyager and radiance and are booked on the empress in april. i like different things about each...i like the appearance of the dining rooms on rccl better..much grander, but i think the food on princess is a bit better than rccl; they seem to be much more generous when it comes to ordering, 2nd's, 3rd's, or even 4th's and 5th's in my husbands case of things u might enjoy (in our case it was escargot and lobster). i like the pools on princess better because of the fresh water vs. salt water, and that they're also open during the entire cruise. the entertainment was better on rccl in my opinion. i liked the main atrium areas of rccl better than the centrum on princess...it seems to be more lively on rccl because of their layout. having said all of the above, i still think princess gives you the best price for balconies, so i would save the $$ and go with them.

nancy

Archived