Cruising towards South Africa from Yellow Fever Western African ports YF waiver NOT accepted.

SFtraveller

I've been on CC for weeks looking at Western African ports. A few ships dropped some of these ports. Could not find out why. But that is not my main point here.

In September, we were told by one Azamara rep. we could not board our ship in South Africa unless we had the Yellow Fever Vaccination, as the Ghana Port Authority requested it.

A very similar itinerary but in the opposite direction is dealing with the YV requirements.

Nov. 29, pax boarded in Lisbon. They took many passengers somewhere to get the YFV.

Many did not board. I will conclude they may not have wanted to take the YFC, but I do not know.

On board the ship pax were asked for various documents.

Dec, 1, delayed due to ship pilot strike, the ship set sail for its end destination of South Africa.

Dec. 2, letter given to pax that South Africa Health Authorities will NOT accept the YF waiver. (Look for Azamara on board now post #2371, page 95.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812089-anybody-onboard-currently/page/95/#comments

1 option: remain on board and do NOT get off in any Western Ports then you can get off in South Africa (same with Namibia). 

2 option: disembark in Gran Canaria. 23 pax choose this option.

I have been speaking with a 21 years as a travel nurse working in my city's public health department and she has NEVER heard of these problems. She told me the waiver is a legal document that must be accepted.

I just found a person flew in several times to Ghana recently and was only asked to show YF once.

After age 60, there is more of a concern for one to receive the YF vaccinations. Though many over that age have gotten it. If you cannot receive a YFV then you can get a waiver.

In summary, you can get a YF waiver, but in the end it will be up to each individual country what their rules are for entering their country. 

Remember to check all visa and health requirements when visiting other countries. Safe and happy travels.