Calling Card Questions

sillig

Good question.

I know there are international calling cards. I believe when I looked at them, they showed which countries they were good in. There are some ports where you can us a US calling card, such as St. Thomas. Also, our cell phone worked w/o roaming in parts of San Juan. (with our plan)

I am looking forward to more info from other cruisers about this, too.

I too would like to know if anyone has found a card that truly works in all the ports. I've tried several "international calling cards" only to find that they don't work once I get there.

It seems as though the local phone companies in the caribbean and Mexico all go by there own set of rules and as such, can choose to accept or deny cards.

I've even tried the cards where you dial an access code to get to an international operator, only to find that the access codes are blocked.

So again, I too would like to hear if anyone has some success stories with using calling cards. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Most calling cards you buy in the US (and San Juan and St. Thomas are still the US) do not work in foreign ports. They are usually only good for calling Internationally FROM the US, not TO the US. My best suggestion is buy a cheap calling card in each port, make sure to get away from the dock area as that is where it is most expensive.

Archived