Port Blair Feb. 8 on Westerdam VISA challenge!

dawei

From what DW and I see online plus what I was told on a call to HAL's Cust. Relations Dept., it appears that an Indian VISA is needed for the Port Blair, Andaman Is. port call. The HAL rep added that this visa will be required to embark in Singapore!

Applying for one is a more than challenging. Getting an e-visa would be much easier than obtaining a paper visa, but Port Blair is not among the 5 seaports in India accepting e-visas, they state online.

One of the first challenges is simply determining the type of visa needed. 

HAL recommends using CIBTVisas to help. Their website lists 4 different types of tourist visa for India; 3 are electronic and one is not. I called and was told they can get us an electronic visa in plenty of time, but will it be accepted at Port Blair which is not accepting e-visas? This company couldn't answer.

Please share your experience with this challenge.

David

From what I understand we need a paper visa.   On the roll call there are some emails from HAL posted where they said that people would be able to embark the ship in Singapore without a visa, but they will not be able to get off at Port Blair.    

.  I did an in person appointment in Houston, Texas, appointments were a month out, and it took 8 days after appointment to receive the passport and visa.   Mailing would have probably been faster but I don’t like sending my passport away.  If you do decide to do the visa I recommend getting the form filling assistance.

Thanks for the reply, majmaj4.

I see where alaskasweetie received two, written confirmations from HAL's Documentation Dept. about an Indian VISA not being required to board the cruise in Singapore if a passenger doesn't plan to get off in Port Blair. 

What I don't understand is why HAL's Documentation Dept. has not sent this message directly to folks  who booked this cruise as they mentioned would be happening a full month ago.

8 hours ago, dawei said:

Thanks for the reply, majmaj4.

I see where alaskasweetie received two, written confirmations from HAL's Documentation Dept. about an Indian VISA not being required to board the cruise in Singapore if a passenger doesn't plan to get off in Port Blair. 

What I don't understand is why HAL's Documentation Dept. has not sent this message directly to folks  who booked this cruise as they mentioned would be happening a full month ago.

We are also on that cruise and I have received a written confirmation from HAL (via my TA) that a visa is not required to embark. The confirmation was written by the same bloke that responded to alaskasweetie. We have decided not to reward India for their inflexibility, nor wish to pay over $400 for a one day stop, so we will stay on board. HAL are not even offering any tours here so why bothher going there.

I'd much rather another port or longer in one of the others.

Edited by leck57

• 2 weeks later...