Hello! How far in advance do you recommend buying trip insurance? For example, our cruise is January 2024. Can the insurance be purchased next fall? I'm asking because I purchased trip insurance for a trip we took in August and we had to purchase it within 15 days of signing our rental agreement.

For a cruise, you can buy insurance at any time. If you want certain time-sensitive benefits such as Cancel For Any Reason, you have to buy within 14-21 days of initial deposit. Most policies also use that window for a pre-existing conditions waiver, but there are several policies that allow it if you purchase before final payment.

Since your cruise is a long way off, it may make sense to wait until final payment when your money is at risk. Assuming your deposit is refundable, you can walk away clean until then. Once you buy insurance it is nonrefundable, but you can likely move it to another cruise.

On the other hand, if you have significant nonrefundable costs early on, you can insure the deposit and add insurance as you add expenses.

Call Steve and let him explain your options.

I’m traveling from San Francisco to Brisbane in February for a cruise.  Does trip insurance cover airfare and the cruise + medical?  How much is the cost per day?  Also, if someone in my family gets sick and I can’t travel, would this be covered?

Thank you

11 minutes ago, rmemmer said:

I’m traveling from San Francisco to Brisbane in February for a cruise.  Does trip insurance cover airfare and the cruise + medical?  How much is the cost per day?  Also, if someone in my family gets sick and I can’t travel, would this be covered?

Thank you

Air fare is tricky because the airline typically issues a voucher if you cancel a nonrefundable fare. In that case, insurance will not reimburse you because you were compensated by the air line. 

Other than that, a comprehensive travel policy will cover travel risks such as cancellation, interruption, and delay for the cruise as well as medical. 

Cost is based on a variety of factors such as age, amount insured, length of trip, and levels of coverage so I can’t tell you how much per day. Just know that insurance is regulated by the states so similar coverage will be priced about the same wherever you buy it.

If you are concerned about a family member, your coverage will depend on whether it involves a pre-existing condition and whether the waiver applies to family members not traveling with you. It gets complicated. Call Steve and talk to him directly for a full explanation. He can recommend appropriate coverage.

Edited by Babr

15 hours ago, rmemmer said:

Thank you

Hi rmemmer,

Unless your airfare is bought as part of cruise, I generally don't recommend insuring the airfare cost if you didn't take this trip and would you likely re-use your airfare for a different trip.

And, as Babr stated "Cost is based on a variety of factors such as age, amount insured, length of trip, and levels of coverage so I can’t tell you how much per day."

Steve Dasseos