Bestest snorkeling in Antigua

tinkerbell1951

OK sorry...... actually we loved Antigua.... It is not a very big island but has a real rural tropical hill country feel. We rented a car and drove all over (driving on the left) but headed to Long Bay first thing and spent a few hours there snorkeling. We (us and our best friends = 4) are all divers from way back and must say that all the reef systems we snorkeled on during our trip were not in the best of shape. Not sure if from "tourist touch" or storms from recent years but still nice snorkeling from shore. Had windy days on a couple of islands which stirred up the sandy bottom and decreased visability. Not sure when you are headed "south" but just go with the attitude that if the weather does not cooperate - you can always shop till you drop :eek:

OK sorry...... actually we loved Antigua.... It is not a very big island but has a real rural tropical hill country feel. We rented a car and drove all over (driving on the left) but headed to Long Bay first thing and spent a few hours there snorkeling. We (us and our best friends = 4) are all divers from way back and must say that all the reef systems we snorkeled on during our trip were not in the best of shape. Not sure if from "tourist touch" or storms from recent years but still nice snorkeling from shore. Had windy days on a couple of islands which stirred up the sandy bottom and decreased visability. Not sure when you are headed "south" but just go with the attitude that if the weather does not cooperate - you can always shop till you drop :eek:

Thanks much for the clarification. Though I was certified, I don't scuba ... long story ... but adore snorkeling and know the Carib has been hit hard lately. Abacos and Dominica are my faves .... Going in Feb and know from experience that weather can be uncooperative... you're right .. shop till I drop. Thanks again Tex and I hope you continue to be spoiled rotten :p . Tink

Archived