interior cabin - closet shelf dimensions on Joy (thinking of getting Dollar Tree bins)

jazzydiver

Hi all,

I have sailed on the Escape and the Breakaway and recall that unfortunately there are *zero* drawers for storage in interior cabins.  I'm on the Joy next month, and I'm thinking of getting those collapsible pseudo-cloth bins from Dollar Tree to make the shelves more pleasant to use.

Anyone have info on approximately how long/deep/tall the interior cabin closet shelves are?  I don't quite remember well enough to be sure of how large of bins to buy.

Thanks!

J

Here's a photo of what the typical Joy Inside Stateroom looked like - very similar, if not identical, to the *Away class ships.  Not much in the way of traditional drawer space to use.  There are a number of slim & often shallow open shelf space.  

NorInt115-55377-1579853368.webp

Collapsible storage bins is good but, IMHO, not very practical.  Ditto for the 2 slim bedside night stand - seriously doubtful that you can make good use of those storage pin.

There are also some storage space under the desk/dresser.  Do you travel with and use packing cubes - we have a mix of eBags and Eagle Creek in assorted sizes & configurations.  Those worked well on "older" mid-size ships as well as newer ships, keep items organized & sorted out, easy to unpack (if needed to come up or transfer to the hangers) and quick to repack for disembarkation.  You can stack them, put them in sideway or turn them to make best use of the limited space.  

• Like 1

I pack at least one of those storage bins for every cruise (they pack flat on the bottom of my suitcase). I use them for socks, hair stuff, small odds and ends that don't really fit on a shelf or in a packing cube (i use those typically for shorts and underwear). I didn't realize the bins came in different sizes...never had a problem fitting them in either on the bottom or top of the closet. 

I don't have the answer but I just smiled at this post because this is exactly what I'm trying to figure out on the Escape! I thought I was nutso for being this crazy over how to unpack- but I am the kind of person that NEEDS organization or I have mental problems. So glad to see someone else wondering the same! 

• Like 1

Half-size and 1/4 size packing cubes (these are from eBags) creatively solved our storage  ... even in balcony staterooms with the dresser/desk with the tall, long with narrow cabinet shelves behind the swing-out doors.  

PXL_20171030_1651.jpg

On the Dollar Tree website, the largest cubes they have is 11x 10.5 x 10.5.

is the storage space shorter than 12 inches?  I watched a few room videos and it looks smaller than that to me.  It also looks like an awkward place to try to get a cube in and out from.  

Dollar Tree says they also have 10x10x10, 11x11x8, and 9x9x8 cubes.

worst case, if you get the largest ones and they don’t fit in the closet, they may slide under your bed with the suitcase.

you could bring a few of each size and surely some may fit.  

20 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Half-size and 1/4 size packing cubes (these are from eBags) creatively solved our storage  ... even in balcony staterooms with the dresser/desk with the tall, long with narrow cabinet shelves behind the swing-out doors.  

PXL_20171030_1651.jpg

My life has been so easy since I discovered packing cubes. (Many many years ago) I alway figure if my luggage were to be opened the packing cubes would save the day. I also use one for o er the counter meds and one for odds and ends (Lysol, hand wipes, sun block, mosquito spray,etc)

• Like 1