Password Expiration Date for Mexico

landlocked12

We are doing a closed loop cruise out of Los Angeles that will be stopping in Mexico.  We just noticed that my Mom’s passport will expire two months after the cruise. The State Department website says that all we need is a valid passport for travel to Mexico, nothing about when it expires.  Will Celebrity accept this? I’d hate to be turned away at embarkation. 

35 minutes ago, landlocked12 said:

We are doing a closed loop cruise out of Los Angeles that will be stopping in Mexico.  We just noticed that my Mom’s passport will expire two months after the cruise. The State Department website says that all we need is a valid passport for travel to Mexico, nothing about when it expires.  Will Celebrity accept this? I’d hate to be turned away at embarkation. 

All you will need is a valid passport for Mexico and the US. Celebrity will accept it. 

We were in a similar situation with my son.  I knew Mexico did not have the 6 month rule, so I figured we would be ok.

When I checked in online, we got a message that Celebrity strongly encourages you to have a 6 month valid passport.

Again, while I was fairly certain we would be fine - I wanted to avoid any unnecessary hassles at the pier with uninformed staff.  We were about 7 weeks out and expedited processing was listed at 3-6 weeks - so we just decided to renew.  It came back in 3.  We leave next week.  We were going to have to renew it before our March cruise anyway.....

Mike

21 minutes ago, mandream said:

We were in a similar situation with my son.  I knew Mexico did not have the 6 month rule, so I figured we would be ok.

When I checked in online, we got a message that Celebrity strongly encourages you to have a 6 month valid passport.

Again, while I was fairly certain we would be fine - I wanted to avoid any unnecessary hassles at the pier with uninformed staff.  We were about 7 weeks out and expedited processing was listed at 3-6 weeks - so we just decided to renew.  It came back in 3.  We leave next week.  We were going to have to renew it before our March cruise anyway.....

Mike

Celebrity does not have uniformed staff at the pier. Only on their phone lines……

Thanks for the input. I just worry about the inconsistency. It seems like there are different rules for Mexico but technically it is an international destination. Since our cruise departs in two weeks, it would be tough if not impossible to get my mom’s passport renewed in time.  Fortunately we found a copy of her birth certificate, which in another section of their rules, Celebrity says will work with a photo ID. It does not mention the expiration date of the ID.CD968C6C-641A-42E6-8C91-E0BA222A69DE.thumb.png.58079af6bd81c57e810df4dc1f293ba4.png

D4A24ECF-32AE-4D32-94B5-C3DEF8B4A228.png

Edited by landlocked12

20 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

That's not what they said

I didn’t say they did. I was making a joke. In any case they don’t need to worry. All they need for their sailing is a valid passport. They don’t need to run out and get an expedited passport. I won’t be surprised though if the usual doomsayers who don’t know what they are talking about insist they need six months blah, blah blah 

5 minutes ago, landlocked12 said:

Thanks for the input. I just worry about the inconsistency. It seems like there are different rules for Mexico but technically it is an international destination. Since our cruise departs in two weeks, it would be tough if not impossible to get my mom’s passport renewed in time.  Fortunately we found a copy of her birth certificate, which in another section of their rules, Celebrity says will work with a photo ID. It does not mention the expiration date of the ID.

Think about it logically. If a birth certificate and photo ID is allowed on your sailing then they won't reject an unexpired passport. Her passport is valid and is fine for the itinerary. 

• Like 2

I've sailed on Celebrity with a passport having an expiration date two months after the return.  Not a problem and we went a lot farther afield than Mexico.  I get that they "encourage" an expiration date of six months, but it is not a requirement unless countries you visit require it.  And I did verify this with Celebrity prior to the cruise.

I had this same concern a few years ago on a similar trip and we also took the birth certificate just in case.  Was a non-issue using just the passport, which expired a few weeks before the end of the trip. 

Mexico only requires that your passport be valid for however long you're staying.  But you are also correct that on a closed-loop cruise from the U.S., you can use the other documents in lieu of a passport, so also no need to go the expedited route to get it fixed before the trip.