Bermuda question

las313

We thought the absolute best shore excursion was the Restless Native Catamaran cruise and snorkel in King's Wharf. It was very relaxed and low key. The staff was very very nice and we were on the catamaran for like 4 and 1/2 hours. They sailed around gave us an informative tour and such about the homes, the people, history, weather, animals, plants, marine stuff, etc...then we snorkeled (again very optional). The water was chilly -ok it was downright cold and we went the first week of May. The snorkeling like I said was very relaxed, you could use a floatie or not, flippers were optional, snorkel optional or you could just swim around a bit. Very different from the other snorkel trip in Hamilton where we HAD to wear flippers. ( I broke my ankle in Oct 2004 and the flippers made the swimming painful). They will serve freshly made cookies warm from the oven and drinks. The only thing they were steadfast on was no swimming after you had a rum swizzle. And frankly I did not care for the rum swizzles but thats me (lol) however free alcohol is free alcohol. Anyway I highly recommend this excursion.

The other excursions were over priced and not as fun in my opinion.

We are going again this year in June and this time we are only pre-booking the Restless Native Catamaran Cruise in King's Wharf. The other 2 ports we are researching to book on our own or we just might wander about on our own.

Enjoy the cruise its great and Bermuda is beautiful.:p

Linda R

We were in Hamilton overnight. We walked to the central bus stop and bought an all-day bus ticket and went to Horseshoe Beach on our own to just relax and swim (not snorkelers). It was very enjoyable. We also went to the perfumery and I believe an aquarium (all on the bus). That evening we picked up a carriage right at the pier and had a tour of the town. We had heard good things about the helmut dive tour, but the water was too rough (clouded the water) and we were cancelled two times.

Another good snorkeling company is Jesse James Cruises. They are very knowledgeable about the island and its history, they take you to three dive spots, and it is a very relaxed atmosphere. I'm not the best swimmer so I just went for the boat ride. It was wonderful and the folks who run it are very nice. Check out their website at jessejames.bm. My brother and his family went on this tour when they visited Bermuda and also loved it.

If it's too cool to snorkel, I agree with the other poster who said to take the bus to the Perfumery and the Aquarium. The bus is a great way to get around the island. It's the most inexpensive mode of transportation and there are stops all over so you don't need to walk far to get to one.

We will be sailing on the Crown 4/30 to Bermuda. Any thoughts or suggestions on shore excursions? Are any worth taking? Suggestins for tours on your own?

Louise

Horshoe Bay, Tobacco Bay, Gibbs Lighthouse, Swizzle Inn, Snorkel Park at the Dockyard!

Doing the helmet dive was the highlight of our cruise. We will never forget it, plus we purchased the photos and the video of our dive which makes it an even better memory. I would definitely do it again.:p

Hi Redzz7062,

I see this is your second "Crown to Bermuda" cruise. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much that you want to go again!

We are thinking about the 5/14/06--parent's 50th. My Dad really wants to see Bermuda! While he and my Mom are out exploring, my sister and I want a quiet beach to "veg" on. (We are both is our 40's) Are there any within walking distance to the ship docks? (King's Wharf, Hamilton, and St. George)

Thanks for your help!!

While he and my Mom are out exploring, my sister and I want a quiet beach to "veg" on. (We are both is our 40's) Are there any within walking distance to the ship docks? (King's Wharf, Hamilton, and St. George)

King's Wharf: only beach within walking distance is Snorkel Park, likely to be busy if a cruise ship is in port

Hamilton: No.

St. George: There are a number of beaches nearby (Tobacco, Achilles Bay, etc.) but are a 15-20 minute walk, with a steep hill. There are also shuttles while a cruise ship is in port. However if a cruise ship is in port the beaches may be crowded, Tobacco Bay especially. If you don't mind walking though it is a lovely walk to the beaches from St. Georges.

Best bet for quiet beaches: Clearwater beach near the airport, or the numerous beaches just each of Horseshoe Bay (Chaplin Bay, Warwick Long Bay, Elbow Beach, etc.). You need to take a bus from either King's Wharf or Hamilton to reach them, or you can go to Horseshoe Bay, turn left and walk the length of the beach, then continue on some trails that lead to small, quiet coves.

will be in bermuda end of june 2 days at the dockyards. we already booked the "wildcat speed boat tour" and will most likely stop by snorkelpark since it's right there. if we want to go to horseshoe bay......is it better (closer) to cab it from the ship or take the ferry to hamilton and then cab it? we are not anticipating using the bus. thanks.

if we want to go to horseshoe bay......is it better (closer) to cab it from the ship or take the ferry to hamilton and then cab it? we are not anticipating using the bus. thanks.

Horseshoe bay is about halfway between Hamilton and King's Wharf so just take a cab from the ship.

My sister and I will also be cruising to Bermuda in April, and we're trying to figure out the best use of our time. Due to the fact that it won't be sunbathing weather, we're not interested in beach or snorkeling excursions. We'd rather get a feel for the island, see the best sights, have a great dinner, and do some shopping. We dock at King's Wharf on Saturday at 1pm and depart on Sunday at 4pm. I'm afraid being there for most of the day on a Sunday will limit our options. We're open to scheduled excursions, or going it on our own with some great ideas of what to see and do. Any suggestions?

Does anyone know the answer to this question???

I am going to Bermuda in Aug with 7 other people. One of which is a recovering alcoholic, sober 20+ years.

We wanted to do the Rising Son Catamaran tour but someone told her that it is essentially just a 'booze cruise' where everyone is just getting drunk. Is this true? She's not against being around booze completely, she just doesn't want to be on a party cruise with people just looking to get drunk on free booze.

The rest of us are looking FORWARD to free rum swizzles!!!!! LOL :D

We got our documents yesterday for the 4/30 sailing of the Crown. However, missing was the book about the shore excursions. The NCL website is showing n/a for the crown. Anyone know what's up?

Louise:cool:

I've been looking myself. They just recently replaced the 2005 sample listings, and put up the 2006 ones for Majesty. Hopefully, the Crown excursions are soon to follow. Honestly, Bermuda is a very safe and accessable island with the bus system (although haven't been there since honeymoon in 1977, it's still a wonderful place from what I understand!). Just doing some reading on my own, there's lots to do at Kings' Wharf (shopping, a fort/museum, Snorkel Park) without booking any excursion. In the town of Hamilton, there are tons of stores and things going on. Don't know all that much about St. George, but there are tons of Bermuda tourism websites out there. Would love to hit a beach one day, but I get the feeling it'll be a lot less expensive to get there on my own, and with the ship being in ports overnight, no stress to get back there in a huge hurry! I might even get brave and attempt a moped again.....OK, maybe not...

Robin

Hey Swizzle v2.0,

Do you live on the island? If so, where do you take your vacation--Maine for some snow and ice? (he,he)

People living in Bermuda like to take the 2-hour flight to Washington DC or New York to go shopping and be in a big city. Bermuda is tiny so it doesn't take long to get "rock fever". :)

Archived