turtle farm on your own

xbaci

has anyone done the turtle farm without the cruise line,seems like you do not need as much time as the cruise line takes? i checked the web site and didnt see any info on transportation. first time in grand cayman. Thanks

I guess it depends on how much you like turtles. We were there last week on a van tour we booked at the dock.The price is fixed at $20 per person (plus tip). It is about 1 and 1/2 hours, and first you stop for a few sights, then to the Turtle Farm, Rum Cake Factory (just to buy things), Hell stop and drop off at the beach(Sea Grape) or town. The Turtle Farm has a separate admission. I think it was $7.50, but is discounted if you are with a driver. Our driver explained the operation to us and the types of turtles, and then I got to "pet" them. I would think 20 min to 1/2 hour would be plenty of time, but there is a restaurant and gift shop there too. You could just cab there yourself, but it would seem more worthwhile to do the tour. Ask for Jacklyn from Jamaica as your driver/guide.

First, you need to know that the Turtle Farm is just that, a FARM where turtles are raised as a product for consumption. It is not a zoo. You do get to handle the turtles. If you aren't bothered by the thought that turtles are raised there as livestock, then have a great time. I have nothing against the turtle farm, in fact I think it is a great idea. They raise captive turtles so the wild ones can be protected.

You can take a taxi there, or for much less money, you can take a "bus" there. The GCM bus service is really just mini-vans, but it is cheap at around $3.50 each way.

I read a post in the past few weeks from someone who said that only 10% of the turtles raised are used for meat, the others are released in the wild. :confused:

Uh... no. Even the Turtle Farm's own numbers indicate that far more are destined for the dinner table.

From the Turtle Farm's webpage FAQ

What do you do with all those turtles?

About 60% of each year's hatchlings are raised to 3 - 4 years of age to be processed for food that is sold locally (a national delicacy). Out of these, 1 to 2% are kept to become future breeders instead of food. The remaining 40% are released into the ocean when they are around one year old. This "headstarting" gives the turtles a better chance of survival.

I can't vouch for their numbers. I do know that the numbers of released turtles have been quite low in recent years.

From the Turtle Farm's history page

During 1998 Cayman Turtle Farm processed 2,059 turtles, producing 108,104 lb. of meat for the local market.

This is the only year for which I could find specific numbers. If 2,059 turtles reflected approximately 60% of that years numbers, and the other 40% were released, we would expect that 1,373 turtle were released that year.

I do not know how many turtles were released in 1998. In 2002 it was reported in local media that fewer than 50 turtles were released. Damage to the Turtle Farm's facilities and loss of stock during the Nov 2001 passage of Hurricane Michelle were cited as reasons for what was described as an abnormally low number of releases.

I read a post in the past few weeks from someone who said that only 10% of the turtles raised are used for meat, the others are released in the wild. :confused:
I think that you have the numbers backward.

Archived