MSC in talks with Port of Galveston to build 4th Cruise Terminal

talkorpi

https://www.cruzely.com/is-msc-coming-to-galveston-port-approves-talks-with-cruise-line-for-fourth-terminal/

In a Port of Galveston Board Meeting on November 30th, there was a brief mention of a memorandom of understanding between the port and MSC to discuss development of a fourth cruise terminal.  It sounds like MSC has plans to not only come to the Galveston market but potentially own their own building.

I have never been on an MSC cruise but since Galveston is my homeport I might give them a try if this ends up happening.  Quite the exciting news that seems to be going under the radar.  Of course nothing is confirmed yet but this does show that MSC is planning to enter the market and in a big way.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

"...since Galveston is my homeport I might give them a try if this ends up happening."

Since you have some familiarity with Galveston cruises, what itineraries distinguish it from typical cruises departing Florida?

What might MSC out of Galveston bring to the table, aside from saving Texas cruisers a trip to Florida?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Since you have some familiarity with Galveston cruises, what itineraries distinguish it from typical cruises departing Florida?

What might MSC out of Galveston bring to the table, aside from saving Texas cruisers a trip to Florida?

Galveston is primarily a drive-to port. Most people coming here drive. Since Texas is such a fast growing state and they’re already so many major places within driving distance of Galveston, it is just becoming the hub for people who don’t want to fly to Florida, but who live in the midwest or south. That’s the primary offering it has, and lines are capitalizing on the explosive demand. 

MSC has likely been trying to break into this market for quite some time but there’s simply not the capacity right now to do so. Sounds like they finally have a chance to create their own capacity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, no1talks said:

It is a 4 hour flight from Denver to Orlando or Miami. Vs a 2 hour flight to Houston with emergency option to drive.

Texas adds some major media markets which make justifying national ad buys more reasonable.

Enters the logical next large market and helps build anticipation and customer base for West Cost debut. 

• Like 1

We've sailed from Galveston twice due to some great pricing. We have to fly, though, which makes it tough. Airports are over an hour away, and there is limited independent ground transportation options. Agree that it is probably a drive- to port. Yes, MSC continues to attempt to disrupt CCL, RCL, and NCL here in the states.

6 hours ago, Acrobatu2 said:

I really hope MSC will do it, I believe it's just a pipe dream.

By the way everyone knows if it's possible for a 7 day cruise from Galveston to dock in Ocean Cay and dock also in Dominican Republic or it will be too far away? 

Probably not.  Galveston seven day itineraries are pretty much limited to some combination of Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and/or Jamaica.  It's the furthest-away Caribbean port from the eastern Caribbean.

Sometimes there are eight-day cruises from Galveston to the Bahamas, but I have never seen something shorter than 10 days from here that goes to the eastern/southern Caribbean.

Oh well.  We usually cruise for the ship anyways.  With Carnival prices getting out of control, I hope to see MSC come to Galveston soon to give them a try.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

We've sailed from Galveston twice due to some great pricing. We have to fly, though, which makes it tough. Airports are over an hour away, and there is limited independent ground transportation options. Agree that it is probably a drive- to port. Yes, MSC continues to attempt to disrupt CCL, RCL, and NCL here in the states.

All the major cruise terminals are limited to ground options to my understanding? Or what is an example you have?

The main issue is more so that they dont have as many options because the volume of ships is not as great as Port Canaveral. Canaveral is not exactly next to the airport yet is easy as lots of times there are 3+ ships in port so those transport companies can build a business on 12k+ people needing to get to port.

MCO -> Port Canaveral (45 miles - 41 mins)

HOU -> Port Galveston (42 miles - 50 mins)

IHA -> Port Galveston (72 miles - 1hr 15 mins)

Some people even fly in to the other airport for Miami and Everglades.

FLL -> Port Miami (27 miles - 35 mins) [yes most would fly in to MA]

MIA -> Port Everglades (29 miles - 30 mins) [yes most would fly in to FLL]

• Like 1

21 hours ago, no1talks said:

what itineraries distinguish it from typical cruises departing Florida?

Most itineraries from Galveston (also New Orleans & Mobile) travel to the Western Caribbean and usually include only 3 ports instead of the typical 4 ports on a similar itinerary from Florida.  They also don’t visit a cruise line private island, unless they are a rare sailing to the Bahamas. MSC may decide to offer some cruises to Ocean Cay (their private island), Nassau & Key West to give an alternative to the typical itinerary provided by other lines from Galveston.

• Like 2

Houston is one of the fastest growing cities in the US...and Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio are not far behind.  All cities are within a 5 hours drive from Galveston. I don't know exactly how many people live in the metro area of those 4 cities combine, but 30 million people live in Texas and I would say probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the population of the state lives within a 5 hours drive of Galveston. I live in Northern Houston and I can be at the Galveston cruise terminal in under 90 minutes in traffic. Flying is a nightmare and we like to take long weekend cruises out of Galveston.  We would love the chance to do the Yacht club since Carnival is now moving her only ship with a decent Havana area to another port.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JT1962 said:

MSC may decide to offer some cruises to Ocean Cay (their private island), Nassau & Key West to give an alternative to the typical itinerary provided by other lines from Galveston.

I would love it, maybe they can offer an 11 days cruise, (not going to happen, unfortunately) I could cruise twice a year.

IMHO I believe is not going to happen for one reason: Texans are a little cold towards MSC and European culture, they expect a cruise to be loud, colorful and not too different from their habits, an example: a Starbucks or a hooters kind business that is what are looking for.

I was so confused to find a Starbuck and Hooters in Mexico, just too accommodate Americans expectations, also Starbucks and place like Guy fiery kitchen, are presents also on some cruise ships. I don't get what is the point to explore new places but to expect to find exactly the same venues and cultures that you just left behind, I believe it's because, most US tourists are scared about different cultures (hope to don't start a flame)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Acrobatu2 said:

I would love it, maybe they can offer an 11 days cruise, (not going to happen, unfortunately) I could cruise twice a year.

IMHO I believe is not going to happen for one reason: Texans are a little cold towards MSC and European culture, they expect a cruise to be loud, colorful and not too different from their habits, an example: a Starbucks or a hooters kind business that is what are looking for.

I was so confused to find a Starbuck and Hooters in Mexico, just too accommodate Americans expectations, also Starbucks and place like Guy fiery kitchen, are presents also on some cruise ships. I don't get what is the point to explore new places but to expect to find exactly the same venues and cultures that you just left behind, I believe it's because, most US tourists are scared about different cultures (hope to don't start a flame)

We are conditioned to believe our American culture is superior, and so people love the ability to spend a day exploring and then return to the comfortable.  And there is nothing wrong with this because for these type of people, the American cruise experience is actually getting them to experience more than they would otherwise.

And don't discount the fact that offering something different can actually help build the market, since they can go after cruisers that love to cruise, but don't want the American Mass Market Line experience.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 3:23 PM, talkorpi said:

https://www.cruzely.com/is-msc-coming-to-galveston-port-approves-talks-with-cruise-line-for-fourth-terminal/

In a Port of Galveston Board Meeting on November 30th, there was a brief mention of a memorandom of understanding between the port and MSC to discuss development of a fourth cruise terminal.  It sounds like MSC has plans to not only come to the Galveston market but potentially own their own building.

I have never been on an MSC cruise but since Galveston is my homeport I might give them a try if this ends up happening.  Quite the exciting news that seems to be going under the radar.  Of course nothing is confirmed yet but this does show that MSC is planning to enter the market and in a big way.

Do you know What if anything is going on at the old Barbers Cut terminal? NCL was there for a while. 

7 hours ago, Acrobatu2 said:

I was so confused to find a Starbuck and Hooters in Mexico, just to accommodate Americans expectations, also Starbucks and place like Guy fiery kitchen, are presents also on some cruise ships. I don't get what is the point to explore new places but to expect to find exactly the same venues and cultures that you just left behind, I believe it's because, most US tourists are scared about different cultures (hope to don't start a flame)

I tend to agree. Many seem to want a Disney type experience where it is the fantasy of exploring something different, but they know it is safe and not real. It’s funny to read reviews of cruises that have stops in both developed and undeveloped ports. The same person will complain that the Costa Maya port is not authentic and a cruise line built tourist trap, but Santo Tomas de Castilla in Guatemala or Colon, Panama is a dump, dangerous and there is nothing to do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mowogo said:

We are conditioned to believe our American culture is superior, and so people love the ability to spend a day exploring and then return to the comfortable.  And there is nothing wrong with this because for these type of people, the American cruise experience is actually getting them to experience more than they would otherwise.

And don't discount the fact that offering something different can actually help build the market, since they can go after cruisers that love to cruise, but don't want the American Mass Market Line experience.

This, exactly. And it's not only with the Americans. Some of us in Europe would think more or less the same. I made the decision to visit both the UAE and Brazil by cruising on MSC for a reason, far easy to understand.

Regarding the cruisers they may attract from Texas, I believe they may be after the growing Latino community there or on the near be states with consumption power enough to take a cruise there. MSC is very popular in Brazil and other Latin American countries, so if they have the chance to perform well within those communities there, it will be a plus. I expect Spanish as being the second, if not the first language out of those cruises. They may start with a Musica/Fantasia class vessel and grow it onward to the newer larger ships as demand rises.

On 12/17/2022 at 12:44 AM, Acrobatu2 said:

Your statements include a lot of misperceptions about Texans. I am a lifelong Texan and have traveled all over the world.  I went to grad school in the United Kingdom even.  Further, the city I live in (Houston--which happens to be closest to Galveston) is the most culturally, ethnically, AND religiously diverse city in the entire United States. We are also the second fastest growing city in the US. In fact: 24 percent of Houstonians are foreign born.  In my son's class this year, he got new students who moved here from Italy, England, Canada,  Trinidad, and South Africa....in addition to a slew of Californians. 

• Like 5

On 12/16/2022 at 11:25 AM, J0Y0US said:

FLL -> Port Miami (27 miles - 35 mins) [yes most would fly in to MA]

Carnival offers transfers to both FLL and MIA so I'm guessing a lot more than a few fly in.  Personally, we've sailed out of Miami twice and one booked for next year, flew into FLL every time (and booked next time).  I'm flying from Canada and the price difference between the two more than makes up for the distance.  On our upcoming planned trip even the time it takes to get there is significantly different with FLL being the winner by a long shot. 

Coincidently we also sailed out of Galveston this year and I'm less likely to do that that FLL to MIA.  Hadn't really realized that until I read this thread.

Edited by 1kaper

19 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Your statements include a lot of misperceptions about Texans. I am a lifelong Texan and have traveled all over the world.  I went to grad school in the United Kingdom even.  Further, the city I live in (Houston--which happens to be closest to Galveston) is the most culturally, ethnically, AND religiously diverse city in the entire United States. We are also the second fastest growing city in the US. In fact: 24 percent of Houstonians are foreign born.  In my son's class this year, he got new students who moved here from Italy, England, Canada,  Trinidad, and South Africa....in addition to a slew of Californians. 

I agree.  That was not my experience on our cruise out of Texas.  I didn't get that at all.  
I talked to a number of people.  I may have had some misconceptions about Texans as well and was quite pleasantly surprised.   I also seemed to meet a number of former Canadians now living in Texas on the ship. Most of them nurses. Apparently we exported a lot of nurses to Texas in the past couple decades. 

• Like 1

Also, let me add that there are more people of Hispanic background in Texas than there are "Anglo" people:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/306044/texas-population-ethnicity-race/.  Texas was, in fact, a state in "New Spain" and, later, Mexico for longer than it has been a state in the U.S.  I don't think Texans are going to shy away from cruising MSC because they view it as not "American" enough.  Frankly, I have never even heard the trope that Texans like Starbucks and Hooters and only eat at chain eateries. That's a completely new one to me!  Heck, the most "popular" restaurants where I live are Mexican food restaurants, Seafood Restaurants, and Steakhouses...and I would bet MSC serves at least the later two.

The only "trope" that I think probably is true is that a lot of us who cruise out of Galveston do so because we prefer to drive to the port rather than fly. IAH and DFW are both really busy international airports.  The last several times I have flown into or out of IAH, it has been not much fun (especially with construction around the airport) and not worth messing with unless you are flying a distance that is too far to reasonably drive. And that's not because we "love our big trucks" but because it simply isn't fun to deal with flight delays/cancellations or lost luggage when you are supposed to be on vacation.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I agree.  That was not my experience on our cruise out of Texas.  I didn't get that at all.  
I talked to a number of people.  I may have had some misconceptions about Texans as well and was quite pleasantly surprised.   I also seemed to meet a number of former Canadians now living in Texas on the ship. Most of them nurses. Apparently we exported a lot of nurses to Texas in the past couple decades. 

The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center/complex of hospitals in the world so it attracts a lot of international healthcare workers.  We also have a lot of energy sector and tech companies headquartered here.  I mean...three of the top seven most populous cities in the U.S. are in Texas. Our GDP is second only to California. I feel like the stereotype of Texans being obnoxious, backwards, unsophisticated, or "loud" is a stereotype from another era. People move here from all over because of jobs, the cost of living is reasonable, taxes are low, and our winters are mild.  Middle income families can actually afford to own a home here...unlike in many other places in the US.  So, the people who board the ship in Galveston really aren't going to be any different from anywhere else in the US. 

Any complaints against Galveston cruisers can probably be levied at American cruisers in general. Generally speaking, I don't think most people (regardless of their country of origin) pick cruise vacations in order to "immerse" themselves in the culture of the country or countries they are visiting.  The stops in a given port are relatively brief so no one is going to be able to truly "experience" the culture and cuisine. If you want to do that, you need to take a land-based vacation and spend weeks or months in a given country. Unfortunately, due to the small amount of time most Americans get off from their jobs for vacation, most can't spend weeks at a time in another country.  

Also, with respect to Mexico, I suspect the reason some American cruisers choose chain restaurants over local ones is because of a fear of Montezuma's revenge.  I grew up part of my childhood in Laredo/Nuevo Laredo so I am unaffected, but I once went to Mexico with a group of high school friends when we were all about 18-20.  Everyone on the trip but me had issues after drinking frozen margaritas (the ice) from a "local" restaurant. I suspect the tourist areas have since improved their water lines in the 20+ years since this happened, but it is still a cautionary tale that I would guess most Americans are aware of. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center/complex of hospitals in the world so it attracts a lot of international healthcare workers.  We also have a lot of energy sector and tech companies headquartered here.  I mean...three of the top seven most populous cities in the U.S. are in Texas. Our GDP is second only to California. I feel like the stereotype of Texans being obnoxious, backwards, unsophisticated, or "loud" is a stereotype from another era. People move here from all over because of jobs, the cost of living is reasonable, taxes are low, and our winters are mild.  Middle income families can actually afford to own a home here...unlike in many other places in the US.  So, the people who board the ship in Galveston really aren't going to be any different from anywhere else in the US. 

Any complaints against Galveston cruisers can probably be levied at American cruisers in general. Generally speaking, I don't think most people (regardless of their country of origin) pick cruise vacations in order to "immerse" themselves in the culture of the country or countries they are visiting.  The stops in a given port are relatively brief so no one is going to be able to truly "experience" the culture and cuisine. If you want to do that, you need to take a land-based vacation and spend weeks or months in a given country. Unfortunately, due to the small amount of time most Americans get off from their jobs for vacation, most can't spend weeks at a time in another country.  

Also, with respect to Mexico, I suspect the reason some American cruisers choose chain restaurants over local ones is because of a fear of Montezuma's revenge.  I grew up part of my childhood in Laredo/Nuevo Laredo so I am unaffected, but I once went to Mexico with a group of high school friends when we were all about 18-20.  Everyone on the trip but me had issues after drinking frozen margaritas (the ice) from a "local" restaurant. I suspect the tourist areas have since improved their water lines in the 20+ years since this happened, but it is still a cautionary tale that I would guess most Americans are aware of. 

A little off topic but DH and I are looking for somewhere warm to move later on in life. He’ll retire earlier than me and I’m pretty sure I could get a job in most places in my field. 
after our Galveston cruise and lots of convos, Texas is now on our list. 

• Like 4

I should add that I was mostly kidding about misconceptions. I already had a couple of friends in Texas but after talking to people

who lived there they really sold us on the idea. And we met a lot of great people. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Of course you are right,  probably your opinion is different than mine because we meet and deal with different people from different background.

Also I was talking in general, about the American people  and I quote "most US tourists are scared about different cultures" not only Texan.

But in the end, the fact that the majority of US cruise company resemble a "luna park" or because there are American "classic" venues around the cruise ports and inside the ships just for accommodate the US tourist is a tangible.

But I was unfair to the Americans: I remember a friend of mine ordering a pizza in Greece while we were on vacation, and he ( he is Italian) complained so much about the taste of it, while all of us enjoyed our delicious Greek food, he constantly remarked for the rest of the vacation that Greeks don't know how make Italian food 🤣 

• Like 1