I think my husband is crazy

Grumpella

On 12/25/2022 at 12:13 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  I've been asleep at the wheel on this one, but recently learned it is only $78 for five years.  Well worth it.  We have the fingerprint appointments the first week in January.

I know of three different Chase branded cards that will cover the cost of TSA pre.  Don't know if other travel oriented cards do as well.  If you have multiple cards, you might want to check if any of yours covers it and be sure to use that card.  (though, if you have the appointments already, maybe it's too late?)

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Is there an annual fee with that card?

My chase card pays for Global Entry but there is a $550 annual fee.

I'd be surprised to learn that your Chase card doesn't cover TSA Pre, especially if it covers Global Entry.

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I know of three different Chase branded cards that will cover the cost of TSA pre.  Don't know if other travel oriented cards do as well.  If you have multiple cards, you might want to check if any of yours covers it and be sure to use that card.  (though, if you have the appointments already, maybe it's too late?)w

I haven't pulled out my CC at any point yet.  Would you mind sharing the "brands" of your Chase cards?

TSA pre check is nice, but it seems like little more than a revenue stream to get people to pay for something that used to be provided for less. Before 9/11 everything was done at the airport at the current precheck levels. Getting searched was the exception to the rule. For obvious reasons, that changed. In the past 2 decades, there are improved scanners but the rule is still remove shoes — and wait in a long line. Now, you can pay more and avoid longer lines and keep your shoes on, the kind of security you didn’t have to pay for back in the day. I like precheck and I think it is worth it given current security wait times, but I think it shows that the security capabilities are there to safely screen people in a faster and equally efficient way. 

17 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

TSA pre check is nice, but it seems like little more than a revenue stream to get people to pay for something that used to be provided for less. Before 9/11 everything was done at the airport at the current precheck levels. Getting searched was the exception to the rule. For obvious reasons, that changed. In the past 2 decades, there are improved scanners but the rule is still remove shoes — and wait in a long line. Now, you can pay more and avoid longer lines and keep your shoes on, the kind of security you didn’t have to pay for back in the day. I like precheck and I think it is worth it given current security wait times, but I think it shows that the security capabilities are there to safely screen people in a faster and equally efficient way. 

I agree with you that it's a revenue stream. One I'll happily continue allowing my credit card company to pay as I enjoy:

1. Keeping my shoes on

2. Keeping my belt on

3. Keeping my laptop in the bag

4. Keeping my wedding ring on (I'd so lose it if I had to take it off)

5. Typically standing in a much shorter line

I don't travel internationally for work so I haven't opted for Global Entry (also covered by my CC), though when my husband gets his citizenship we'll both apply for Global Entry. 

Once it's more widely adopted, I'll spring for CLEAR as it's even more efficient. 

If I need to pay a little to save some time (time is money), I'll do it. Especially if it means I can continue getting to the airport 60 minutes before departure (not boarding time). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My wife first said "No" to Global Entry.

On our next cruise she noticed a very short line and a sign saying "Global Entry".

She turned to me and said sign us up for that Global Entry as soon as we get home.

My husband started pushing GE a couple of years ago and I didn't feel we needed it because we always arrive when airports are not crowded (kids are in school, basic weekday, etc.) and there is never a line anyway so why bother?  Then he said the magic word . . . FREE, lol. 

I don't know if they do this all the time but right after our application was processed the told us we could just stop by the next time we flew into JFK instead of keeping our scheduled interview appointment.  So we were even able to do the fingerprinting/interview very conveniently.

You can do interview upon arrival still. Unfortunately my last three trips it hasn’t worked out, first two there just wasn’t enough time after clearing security/customs in Canada and the trip from Belgium the office was closed 🤦‍♂️. I have an interview scheduled in February but a work trip just popped over top of it. 

31 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

My husband started pushing GE a couple of years ago and I didn't feel we needed it because we always arrive when airports are not crowded (kids are in school, basic weekday, etc.) and there is never a line anyway so why bother?  Then he said the magic word . . . FREE, lol. 

I don't know if they do this all the time but right after our application was processed the told us we could just stop by the next time we flew into JFK instead of keeping our scheduled interview appointment.  So we were even able to do the fingerprinting/interview very conveniently.

Our first appointment was in Nashville, about a two hour drive.

Since then, GE has appointments here locally.  

30 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes, they do interviews on arrival still.  However, I think you need to be in the Customs area to do it and cannot do it if you fly domestically.  Miami and FLL both have interview stations and I would happily interview when I flew in for the port if I could. 

"Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) is CBP program that allows Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved to complete their interviews upon arrival into the United States. The EoA program eliminates the need for a Global Entry applicant to schedule an interview at an enrollment center to complete the application process.

When landing in an international terminal follow the signage directing you to CBP officers who can complete your Global Entry interview during your admissibility inspection. If you require assistance for your Global Entry interview because of a disability, immediately inform the interviewing CBP officer of your need for a reasonable modification or auxiliary aid or service to participate in the interview. For your planning purposes, please understand that if you use EoA and are requesting a modification, aid, or service at that time and an effective modification, aid, or service is not readily available, the interview may be scheduled for a later date."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

I was also told (after enduring a 90 min wait on hold) that minors must have both parents present to interview, and you cannot enter the area to get to the interview room unless you had a flight and TSA cleared you. 

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I haven't pulled out my CC at any point yet.  Would you mind sharing the "brands" of your Chase cards?

Sapphire Reserve and United Mileage Plus Explorer, to name two.  I don't know what my daughter has, but I know it's chase and I know its not one of those two.

10 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

TAS Pre is included in Global Entry.

I understand that.  I inferred from your earlier posts that you may have had an issue with the $550 fee for Global Entry, so, I was suggesting TSA pre as a free alternative.  Apparently my inference was wrong, which can happen in forums like this.

28 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I understand that.  I inferred from your earlier posts that you may have had an issue with the $550 fee for Global Entry, so, I was suggesting TSA pre as a free alternative.  Apparently my inference was wrong, which can happen in forums like this.

Global entry isn’t $550 it $100 and pre check isn’t free…

36 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Sapphire Reserve and United Mileage Plus Explorer, to name two.  I don't know what my daughter has, but I know it's chase and I know its not one of those two.

Thanks.  Both are listed on the TSA website:

Credit Cards and Loyalty Programs featuring TSA PreCheck® | Transportation Security Administration

I don't have any cards on that list.😡

36 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

My apologies, I should have been clearer.  The fee for the chase credit card is $550.  More perks than just the GE.

https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/reserve

Edited by RocketMan275