Flights booked via NCL

RonenLin

For the first time we booked our cruise and flight directly from NCL. I had to contact them in order to get my flight info since we were at 25 days prior to our cruise and no one has sent us any info. They ended up sending me the flight info for someone else. Then I got the flight info which stated that neigther me or my wife were allowed any luggage. To make things even more confusing, when I tried to book our seats via Delta, we can't have seats together and we are charged 30$ CAD per person for the 1st luggage. Air Canada is charging us a min of 30$ CAD per seat and also a 30$ CAD per person for 1st luggage. 

So now I'm asking myself, what was the point of booking with NCL when I'll have to pay more to fly...

Did anyone else experience this?

I can't offer any advice or thoughts on getting the wrong info.  It sounds like a simple error that you got resolved.

Regarding the flights you have now received, it is very common to get booked on airlines that charge for baggage.  Very few airlines offer free baggage in the US (Southwest is one).   If you had booked your own flight on Delta or Air Canada, you would also be paying baggage with their standard fares. (unless you have status on those airlines)

Additionally many airlines offer their lowest fare without seat selection.  United and American both have fares that will only provide seats at check-in.   On all these airlines they will charge you to "pick your seat" or "check a bag", so this is not really an NCL thing, but rather a factor of getting "free airfare".  It is not surprising that NCL will select the most economical fare.

If you end up on an airline where you have status, then you can take advantage of that status.  We have status on United.  We get free baggage and Economy Plus seats on NCL booked flights for them because of that. But we still have to do that through the airline. 

When we've received Delta flights, we have been able to select some "no charge" seats (in the back of the plane), but still had to pay for bags since we have no status on Delta.

56 minutes ago, RonenLin said:

For the first time we booked our cruise and flight directly from NCL. I had to contact them in order to get my flight info since we were at 25 days prior to our cruise and no one has sent us any info. They ended up sending me the flight info for someone else. Then I got the flight info which stated that neigther me or my wife were allowed any luggage. To make things even more confusing, when I tried to book our seats via Delta, we can't have seats together and we are charged 30$ CAD per person for the 1st luggage. Air Canada is charging us a min of 30$ CAD per seat and also a 30$ CAD per person for 1st luggage. 

So now I'm asking myself, what was the point of booking with NCL when I'll have to pay more to fly...

Did anyone else experience this?

Yes.  Live and learn.....  I'll make my own arrangements next time.  We are sitting together but, we received conflicting travel/flight info. and had to pay for luggage.  It works for some, but, not for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonenLin said:

and we are charged 30$ CAD per person for the 1st luggage

As noted - Delta charges for baggage.  The terms of the promo clearly indicate that charges such as that are the responsibility of the passenger.

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

Airline-imposed personal charges such as baggage fees are not included and are paid directly to the airline.

Obviously you don’t fly often or you would know those charges are typical on most airlines, other than Southwest.  Some low cost airlines even charge for carry on luggage these days.  Not NCL’s fault or issue.  You might be able to get seats together at the airport, but wouldn’t count on it entirely.  If it is that important to you, pay to select your seats.