Wheelchair Assistance at MIA

wrp96

I just flew home from a cruise today via MIA and required wheelchair assistance. I didn't require it on the way down, but that's another story.

If you require wheelchair assistance there, get there as early as possible, be prepared for a long wait, and come with plenty of patience. If more than one person in your group needs assistance, add extra time. They only seemed to have maybe 4 or 5 people providing wheelchair assistance - for the entire airport - or at the very least for American Airlines.

I sat there patiently waiting as I got there very early for my flight and didn't mind waiting in the wheelchair area instead of at the gate, so I got to spend several hours observing. First common mistake, people would go to the wheelchair assistance first without checking in - they have to have your boarding pass to sign you up for wheelchair assistance, so check in first, then go sign up for wheelchair assistance. They do it by flight times first, and then by the time you get there (but if you get there before others with similar flight times you go first). Second common mistake, people not leaving enough time to check in, get wheelchair assistance, get through security, and get to the gate. If you use wheelchair assistance, you go to the front of the line at security, but it still takes time - and even though you aren't walking you are still having to be pushed those very long distances to the gates.

Just some little things I observed today, even with my temporary need for help.

For people that know ahead of time that they will need wheelchair assistance at an airport, you can call your airline and have that notation put in your records. I do that when we book, and again, the day before the flight. We have not had a problem with American, Alaska, Southwest or United. Of course, if you don't KNOW ahead.............different kettle of fish. :) We just inform the porters outside, and they will usually help us as soon as one is free, help us get checked in, and get to the gate.

I think your suggestions for those that haven't booked ahead are very good, and I hope you are back on your feet for your next cruise.

Archived