Cancelled Flights

sunshine4me2

21 hours ago, purpleally said:

Sorry didn’t see their ages nor their reluctance to drive

we live in michigan and Florida is driveable to us

Different people have different levels of comfort for making drives like that.  My parents and I live in NY, 3 hours North of NYC, my parents (dad will be 80 next year) may drive to FLL for their next cruise.  Dad wants to, mom isn't so sure it's a good idea.

11 hours ago, sunshine4me2 said:

Thanks everyone, and Happy, Safe, 2023!

SO glad you made it. With all of the news about flights being cancelled (esp SW), it's easy for me to get lost in all of the statistics. But when it's someone you're actually talking to online, in real time, it's somehow more tangible. I kept updating Flightaware to check on your plane's status and was relieved to see it landed (though you were certainly more relieved than I!). Have a great NYE cruise!

4 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

There was an earlier discussion about whether Southwest would be able to claim their operational problems were caused by weather.  I said I didn't think the DOT would let them get away with that this time (airlines aren't responsible for hotel or meals if  a flight cancellation is caused by a weather delay.)    On the day of the storm, they can claim weather caused the cancellations but once all the other airlines calmed down, Southwest continued to fail, and on the days after the storm I don't think the DOT will let them get away with not compensating passengers due to the delays being "weather related."  I think the DOT will make them reimburse passengers at least for food and lodging (they've told people to save receipts and that "reasonable expenses" will be compensated). I have no idea if this includes cruises, but its particularly unfortunate if like the OP people actually had insurance but because this was a company failure the OP was told her insurance wouldn't cover the cruise.  Thankfully it looks like she's made it, but this is still a mess.

Well, we're not happy with the numerous (4) cancellations (tens of hours at Gate before returning to home) on SW we just experienced, the overbooked and overpriced (DOT, i.e., 'gouging) competing airlines we had to alternately use.  However, watching the politicians and government mouthpieces pound their chest on what they're going to do to Southwest we shouldn't jump on such banter and bandwagon.

Southwest didn't intentionally mess up, to think otherwise is simply not rational.  There are many articles about the various factors that created the perfect storm for them at this time.

The best source to "account for such" (i.e., make reimbursements) and to "remedy such" (update the failed systems) is Southwest, not a politician grandstanding or a transportation Secretary appearing on the news.

And Southwest has made such announcements.

https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/

"If you have been impacted by a flight cancellation or significant flight delay between December 24, 2022 and January 2, 2023, you may submit receipts for consideration via Email Us on Southwest.com. Using the Email Us link takes you to a support page where you click on Complaint, then choose Flight, then Cancellation, and follow the ‘Next’ prompt. Please attach copies of your expenses for review.

We will honor reasonable requests for reimbursement for meals, hotel, and alternate transportation (such as rental cars, or tickets on other airlines)."

So, they will be making efforts to reimburse and they will need to win back customers confidence or they will fail.  The intervention by government POLs and regulators, especially the tasty headline of potential fines, is not the answer.

I can't think of, or feel for, many similarly identifiable group of SW passengers in the position of cruisers who missed their paid for cruises because of this.  It's terrible.

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Have a great cruise.

Restaurant reservations will be in Syd Normans Deck 7 mid ship and entertainment booking in the theater box office Deck 6 forward. 

Agree to try and do the Food Hall Deck 8 aft for lunch. Get a table or counter that is not at a food truck.

I would suggest confirming that once on the ship.  We sailed on Prima on 12/16 and the show reservations were done in Syd Norman's, not the theater.  While waiting in line we discovered that booking was also possible through the NCL app.  

I'm not sure about restaurant reservations; we had those done online prior to boarding.

• 3 weeks later...

Am so glad you made the cruise safely.

And thank you for the warning - "Have 3rd party cruise insurance thru Trawick" - will never use that company for insurance if an event like the SW Airlines meltdown was not covered!! That is exactly what insurance is supposed to be for - circumstances beyond your control. Crappy insurance and crappy company.