Hotel suggestion in Denali area?

tempoct

Hi,

I'm looking for a hotel for 2 nights in Denali area (July 5 - 7). No need super-luxury but a clean room is a must (and not breaking the bank :p). We will have a car rental so staying a bit further (says Healy) is OK with us.

We have tour saver book so obvious choice is to use buy-one-get-one-free at McKinley Chalet or Denali Cabin Rivers. The Cabins are full during that time frame but I'm not sure about the quality of Mckinley Chalet. I have read a thread from last year that many people are not so satisfied with their services.

Any recommendation is appreciated. So far, I found recommedation on Touch of Wilderness and Denali Lake View Inn.

:)

Have stayed at the Denali Lakeview twice and really enjoyed it. You're about 15-20 minutes from park headquarters in a very quiet location in Healy. Had some friends that were also very happy with the Motel Nord Haven in Healy.

OK - I know you asked about hotels, but we had some fun in the cabins up the hill from the salmon bake. The place was clean, inviting, and definitely an Alaskan memory for us! Bathrooms had plenty of hot water and were about 10 feet from our cabin, on a wooden path. We met some great people, even some other cruisers, and had some lively conversations well into the Alaskan "evening". Maybe not for everyone but certainly worth a try and not very expensive either.

The website gives a pretty good indication of what to expect, I think -

http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/lodging.html

Happy Travels - Sue

Hotel or Cabin or anything is fine, as long as it has private bath and sufficient privacy (I heard, for example, the Touch of Wilderness is more like hotel than real B&B, which is OK too). I don't need any much special service. Warm welcome host is good enough :)

Also, do the McKinley Chalet/ Villege are this bad?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=212655&highlight=denali+hotel

I'm actually sailing with HAL on ms Veendam :)

I think the Denali Park Hotel is one of the good bargains going in the area. Very nice large rooms, microwave, fridge and at the door parking. I've stayed there several times on the cheap, and alt with my favorite more pricey B&B Touch of Wilderness. :)

(I heard, for example, the Touch of Wilderness is more like hotel than real B&B, which is OK too). I don't need any much special service. Warm welcome host is good enough

:)

Huh??? Completely untrue, nothing "hotel" about it. :)

Hi BQ!

Thanks for hopping in and correct the info :)

I saw you recommend the Denali Park Hotel in the past. What about that Totem Inn? Are they comparable? They seem to be similar price range.

Archived