Canadian Passport Application times

Sugar67

On 7/29/2024 at 10:02 AM, Middleager said:

I went into a Service Canada office almost 2 weeks ago.  Was there around 3pm.  A lady and I were in line.  A staff initially told us we may not get to be processed that day.  He continued to tell others lining up behind us as they came.  Eventually the lady and I were called in and we got processed.  

My application was reviewed, and I was told exactly as the website indicated.  I was given a choice to pick up (10 business days), wait for it to be sent to my home (20 business days), etc.  I chose to pick up for an additional $20 fee, and was given a slip to pick up after 10 business days.  I asked if it's ready earlier would I get a call to pick up earlier.  She said no, no earlier than 10 business days. 

I picked up my passport today, exactly 10 business day after submitting in to the North York Service/Passport Canada office.

I went there at 1:25pm.  There were two lines outside the office and I was told to go to the "inside", shorter line, for pick up.  My line quickly grew.  A guy came to take 10 of us inside the office, to join the end of a line of 20+ people.  A lady came to take our pick up slips, to speed up the process.  There were 3 counters, and the line moved quickly.  I got my passport at 1:55pm, so a half hour wait.

This is a large busy office.  I understand most Toronto offices are busy.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One more anecdote:

We applied for my sons passport about a month ago.
Tracked it online and always "in progress"
Waaay past the "service standard" date.
Called in yesterday and they did indeed see it in the queue, that it was way past service standard and they would "flag it". No there were no issues noted. (in fact we put the application through at a Service Canada - Passport  and all was indicated OK there.)
We leave for vacation in 3 weeks.
They indicated if we don't have it and we get to within 10 business days they will "rush ship it to a local pick up centre"

So I think the lesson is - expect the worst - be pleasantly surprised if you get the best - and track the heck out of your application to avoid disaster. 

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 4

On 8/7/2024 at 3:12 PM, NateUpNorth said:

One more anecdote:

We applied for my sons passport about a month ago.
Tracked it online and always "in progress"
Waaay past the "service standard" date.
Called in yesterday and they did indeed see it in the queue, that it was way past service standard and they would "flag it". No there were no issues noted. (in fact we put the application through at a Service Canada - Passport  and all was indicated OK there.)
We leave for vacation in 3 weeks.
They indicated if we don't have it and we get to within 10 business days they will "rush ship it to a local pick up centre"

So I think the lesson is - expect the worst - be pleasantly surprised if you get the best - and track the heck out of your application to avoid disaster. 

My sister was in a similar situation. She called earlier this week about the missing passport, and picked it up today in London.

On 8/9/2024 at 8:12 PM, Dismomx5 said:

My sister was in a similar situation. She called earlier this week about the missing passport, and picked it up today in London.

Funnily enough.... ours arrived Friday, less than a week after calling to politely inquire.

Lesson - if you go past the "service standard" date, call in immediately.

• Like 2