Vertigo - stupid question??...

lusyrsgirl

Ok, I'm not particularly fond of heights and suffer from Vertigo. I mean, I can go on roller coasters and stuff, but I can't go up high and look down without feeling dizzy and like I'm going to fall. I've never been on a cruise before. Is there any chance of falling overboard? Are the rails pretty high up? I know this is a weird question... but would vertigo be a probelm on a cruise, especially with them so big and all...

I also suffer from vertigo with hights...unless I am closed in I will get dizzy. My favorite spot on our cruise was the railing on the 4th deck. I just didn't look down when I was upstairs....I had no problems. The railing are about waist high and I would think you would have to try pretty hard to fall overboard. Enjoy your cruise!

Julie

I also have a fear of heights, but I find if you work up to it, don't look straight down...you get used to it...we even get balcony cabins and after about an hour, no problem...It's really great. So don't worry.

I agree, don't worry. I'm 6'5 and would have to try hard to get over one of the railings.

If there is any danger of high seas, etc. I've seen crews close down walkways and open areas to make sure no-one could ever be swept or tossed overboard.

Most new ships are designed in such a way that you never have to be on an open deck if you don't want to be, yet still allow you to make your way around the entire ship.

So while your fear is real, the danger is not. Go, and have a great time!

I take Meclizine 25 mg for it. You can take it every 6 hrs as needed. It was prescibed by my doctor. It is also good for seasickness. I took it when I first got on the ship and never took it again I was having so much fun I guess I forgot about it. Mind over matter.

Good luck and Happy Cruising

Cathy P:)

Ok, I'm not particularly fond of heights and suffer from Vertigo. I mean, I can go on roller coasters and stuff, but I can't go up high and look down without feeling dizzy and like I'm going to fall. I've never been on a cruise before. Is there any chance of falling overboard? Are the rails pretty high up? I know this is a weird question... but would vertigo be a probelm on a cruise, especially with them so big and all...

This has been my concern as well.

I'm not so worried about falling off the ship...but being able to enjoy all the "fun stuff". I was thinking that I'd "work my way" from the bottom to top. I can't quite see myself standing on an upper level at sailaway...I think I'll give that a pass...or stand there with my eyes closed!!!:(

Thanks for the meclizine tip, cathy p...I did purchase some but wasn't certain if I'd give it a go. I think I will try it the day before and see if I have any side effects. I commute 45 minutes (each way) daily, so I didn't want to try it when I'm working due to the warning of "do not operate machinery...":confused:

I sail on Saturday so I will give you my thoughts lusyrsgirl when I get back.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone! While I don't think I"ll be shouting "I'm King of the World" from the front of the ship (Titanic), you guys make me feel a little more confident. I'll be the girl NOT over by the railing!! :rolleyes:

Lusy - Vertigo is a sensation, not a phobia, which can be worse. It makes you very light-headed and dizzy, and you feel like you might fall. There are a lot of phobias concerned with heights. I suffer from Aeroacraphobia (fear of open heights), and I can't go on rollercoasters, ferris wheels, etc. However, I CAN ride in a glass elevator (because I'm closed in.) Phobias are REAL and they can be scary. Acrophobia is a fear of heights (open or closed).

You may want to take something like Bonine. Try one pill a day or so before your cruise and see if you have any problems. It seems to be the preventative method of choice of many cruisers for seasickness or dizziness. It's non-drowsy, and works well for me. I have some motion sickness issues, and I take one an hour before boarding the ship, and one each night just before going to bed. I've had great success.

Ask your pharmacist for meclazine. It's the same as Bonine, but a lot less expensive.:)

Also - when you're looking out at the horizon, being up high on a deck shouldn't bother you...just don't look straight down, y'know? Good luck.

Archived