Puntas Arenas Chile

Earthquake2go

As a tender stop, I was hoping that we would have made Puntas Arenas, but the stop got cancelled. We had worked so hard with Martiza A from Tours by Locals only for the plans to fall apart due to gale force winds jeopordizing our arrival on the Princess Saphirre. We then had to stay overnight two nights in the next Port Ushiia.

If you are planning a tour like ours (King Penguin Preserve), it is not an easy task without a local professional like Maritza. To her credit, she put in a lot of time to help me make the visit come together, only to be dashed at the last minute. Best advice she gave was to get the Flex airplane ticket rates so that a refund is possible. Same is true for the trip to see the Magellen Penguins; if the weather is bad they may not go.  For the King penguins, logistics include knowing both the local airline schedule DAP and the Ferry schedule from Puntas Arenas to Porvenir are critical to determining if you have enough time to make the trip. In both cases, the schedule times of the flights and the ferry changed on us, making for a tight schedule.

Hopefully, it will work out better for others in the future. I would try again, because Antartica was incredible. One must be realistic to understand that plans dont always go as expected in this part of the world because of the weather.

• Thanks 2