How is disembarkation done in 2022 (2023)?

Tantei

Hi, I’m currently on the Royal Princess doing San Francisco - Hawaii (Dec 22, 2022 - Jan 6, 2023). My last cruise was in the very pre-Covid times of 2018. I’ve noticed things have changed, starting with the non-existent muster drill. It was good you have to proactively go to the muster station to tag in, but pretending to watch a safety video in the cabin was not the same as commiserating through 15 minutes of drudgery in the Princess Theater.

I’m wondering how disembarkation is done in post-Covid (haha, not really) 2022/2023. Do we still gather in Princess Theater with carryon for our disembarkation turn, or do we wait in our cabins now? It’s just detail, but it’s killing me not knowing what to expect.

It’s day 11 today. I’m pretty sure I’m not imagining that I’m hearing more passengers coughing now than on embarkation day. I’ve overheard as much while checking in for dinner at Allegro someone casually small talking, “My roommate has Covid, it’s just me tonight.” It’s good to know most everyone gets it light these days, but it’s definitely going around on this ship. My masking does not seem to offend non-maskers so I’m good.

1 hour ago, Tantei said:

Hi, I’m currently on the Royal Princess doing San Francisco - Hawaii (Dec 22, 2022 - Jan 6, 2023). My last cruise was in the very pre-Covid times of 2018. I’ve noticed things have changed, starting with the non-existent muster drill. It was good you have to proactively go to the muster station to tag in, but pretending to watch a safety video in the cabin was not the same as commiserating through 15 minutes of drudgery in the Princess Theater.

I’m wondering how disembarkation is done in post-Covid (haha, not really) 2022/2023. Do we still gather in Princess Theater with carryon for our disembarkation turn, or do we wait in our cabins now? It’s just detail, but it’s killing me not knowing what to expect.

It’s day 11 today. I’m pretty sure I’m not imagining that I’m hearing more passengers coughing now than on embarkation day. I’ve overheard as much while checking in for dinner at Allegro someone casually small talking, “My roommate has Covid, it’s just me tonight.” It’s good to know most everyone gets it light these days, but it’s definitely going around on this ship. My masking does not seem to offend non-maskers so I’m good.

I know on Enchanted a year ago and on Island Princess in May it was as it had been previously - waiting in various lounges depending on your disembarkation time.  No waiting in rooms because one has to vacate cabin much earlier than when one debarks.  

In the summer of 2022 we did a new england cruise with the caribbean princess and first experienced the option of self assist disembarkation. This is perfect! Just pack your bags and walk of the ship.

Within the next day or 2 they will put a notice in your room of the time and meeting place for disembarkation. Last fall, we were to meet in one of the dining rooms for an 8:45 disembark time. We left our cabin at 8:30 (as required) and went to the meeting place. They told us we could leave as they had already started disembarking our group! This was on the Ruby in San Francisco.

To add to what others have said, there will also be a venue set aside if you're Platinum or Elite.  Something new post-Covid is that if you're in a full suite, you'll all get the same color bag tag and that will allow you to disembark at any time within a range (from 7:30 to 9:30 on our past two cruises).  You still need to vacate your cabin by 8:30 but I think it's a nice feature.

Thanks everyone for sharing your recent post-Covid disembarkation experiences.

I’ve done both classic disembarkation and self disembarkation. I hate packing early and later looking for my bag in a sea of suitcases in the terminal. My idea of packing for a cruise is to take public transportation to and from the house to the cruise terminal. You bet I would walk off the ship with no luggage assistance given the option.

But it sounds like the disembarkation process has not changed much between now and pre-Covid. The Princess website does say the Princess app (Medallion app) will tell me when it’s time for my group to disembark, but the day 1 boarding process using the app was a bust, so my trust in relying on the app is limited.

Seeing how Princess’s idea of staying on schedule is extremely approximate, I know to expect self disembarkation to start way earlier than 8:30am. In fact, last time in 2018, Google Timeline tells me I was on the F-line headed towards Embarcadero BART station by 8:22am. But I did remember to get one last breakfast on Lido deck, so there was no such thing as sleeping in that morning.

Hmm, just one snag of a 30% chance of rain in the morning of arrival in San Francisco.