new at this...

gigizhere

Hi...I am new to this site....not sure how to use it....but I am trying! :D We are going on our first cruise 6-11 spirit.....I am a nervous wreck after hearing on the news this morning....how many people fall overboard....is it that easy to do???

It's easy if you get drunk and climb up on the railing.

Seriously, welcome to the boards. I believe it has been 25 or 26 gone overboard in the last three years with 31 million passengers so it's not as common as the news and posturing congressmen want you to believe.

Some of these have also been suicide so the chance is very slim for most cruisers. Nothing to really be concerned about.

On the Today show this morning....an attorney was on....who was representing family of a 15yr old that went over in I believe January...and another father was on his 37 year old went missing 4 years ago....the 15 yr old was served like 12 drinks in an hour and a half....got sick and went over....they did get the ship to go back to search...but it was too late....so i was just wondering....how high is the railing???? we are going with our 2 children....well ages 22 and 23 ...but one has downs syndrome...its making me quite nervous...

Hi...I am new to this site....not sure how to use it....but I am trying! :D We are going on our first cruise 6-11 spirit.....I am a nervous wreck after hearing on the news this morning....how many people fall overboard....is it that easy to do???

STOP Reading and relax, its next to impossible, unless of course you are one of the crazies that think you can drink all you want and then walk the rail or just sit down atop the rail to take a break!

It is in fact very hard to do. Most of the 22 missing people from around the world being reported on the news over the last 3 years where either drunk doing stupid things or wanted to disappear.

Keep in mind 10M passengers a year of 3 years that is 30M passengers and only 22 people missing.

How many people go missing each year on land from an area with 30M people.

how about the motion sickness?? If we dont have it in say automobiles....is it likely not to have it on the ship?

Not so fast, totaly different type of motion. However there are enough remidies that it should not be a problem. If you are going to the Caribbean your in luck that just happens to be some of the calmest seas! :D

Don't get yourself so worked up, you will love it. Just like Lays bet you can't do just one!

The rails are over waist high and up to most peoples chest. They are spaced very close together so you can't go through.

We were on a cruise last year along with a niece who has a 21 year old daughter with downs. The daughter had a great time but was very prone to motion sickness. Since this is a first cruise, make sure you take along some meds for that in case any of you need it.

Just be sensible on the ship and have a wonderful time.

Archived