La Goulette, Tunisia

My family and I will be in La Goulette on a cruise stop in a few months.Ā  I was hoping someone has recommendations for what clothes we , specifically my teenage daughter and I, should wear while in port and on tours.Ā  Thanks!

7 hours ago, shatzi13 said:

My family and I will be in La Goulette on a cruise stop in a few months.Ā  I was hoping someone has recommendations for what clothes we , specifically my teenage daughter and I, should wear while in port and on tours.Ā  Thanks!

Ā 

La Goulette is a more cosmopolitan place than other cities in Tunisia (with the exception of resorts such as Sousse).Ā  Still, when I traveled in Tunisia a few years ago (pre-Covid), we were advised to avoid low-cut blouses or tops, shorts, and anything that shows your shoulders. Most of the group I was with felt comfortable with pants, cropped pants or skirts that fully covered the knee. I would not go any shorter than a 3/4 sleeve shirt, based on what I saw and experienced. Gauzy cotton blouses and tunics work well.Ā 

Ā 

It's likely no one would bother you if you dressed less modestly, but you might get stared at by a few, which can feel uncomfortable.Ā  If you're going to be on a tour, you should be free from any unwelcome attention -- though a teenage daughter might attract some comments; however, these are usually part of the marketplace banter "for tourists" and aren't really meant to be taken seriously.... they aren't really trying to trade you 100 camels for your daughter!Ā šŸ¤£

Ā 

If visiting a mosque, bring a lightweight scarf to cover your head.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 9:47 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Ā 

La Goulette is a more cosmopolitan place than other cities in Tunisia (with the exception of resorts such as Sousse).Ā  Still, when I traveled in Tunisia a few years ago (pre-Covid), we were advised to avoid low-cut blouses or tops, shorts, and anything that shows your shoulders. Most of the group I was with felt comfortable with pants, cropped pants or skirts that fully covered the knee. I would not go any shorter than a 3/4 sleeve shirt, based on what I saw and experienced. Gauzy cotton blouses and tunics work well.Ā 

Ā 

It's likely no one would bother you if you dressed less modestly, but you might get stared at by a few, which can feel uncomfortable.Ā  If you're going to be on a tour, you should be free from any unwelcome attention -- though a teenage daughter might attract some comments; however, these are usually part of the marketplace banter "for tourists" and aren't really meant to be taken seriously.... they aren't really trying to trade you 100 camels for your daughter!Ā šŸ¤£

Ā 

If visiting a mosque, bring a lightweight scarf to cover your head.

You pretty much ruled out all of my cruise clothes!Ā  Luckily I have about 9 months to shop.Ā  Thanks for your response.Ā Ā 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 8:45 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Well.....it's only for one day!Ā Ā šŸ˜‰. No need for an entirely new wardrobe. (Unless you want one, of course...)

There's always a need to shop for new clothes!!

• Like 1