Cadiz & Motril

ajtraveler66

We will be on the NCL Star in April.  Two of our ports are Cadiz & Motril.

I think we have just about decided to skip the excursions in Cadiz and just enjoy the city of Cadiz itself.  I've just read too many positive comments about it for me to change my mind.

The city of Motril, on the other hand, has me a bit stumped.  It just doesn't appear to have much of a draw in and of itself.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We will probably hold off on making the Motril decision until we are midway through our cruise. (It's Day #13 of our 15-Day Mediterranean Cruise (Apr 15-30)).  I know that there are excursions to Granada/Alhambra.  But if Motril has a lot to offer, we may just opt to spend our day there.  I have a feeling we are going to be very tired at that point any way.  Ibiza is Day #12, and I think we plan to lay back and just take it easy that day for sure.

While I've got you....we do Portimao, Portugal on Day #14.  Feel free to comment if you've been there.

Cadiz is fine for a pleasant & lazy day - the berth is near the narrow streets & cafes of the old part of town. Or train from the station (not far) to the sherry town of Jerez de la Frontiere 

We've only ever driven thro Motril - and what I've seen of it that's all it's worth.

Yes excursions to the Alhambra in Granada. Much shorter & more pleasant dive than from Malaga, but the Alhambra sells out months ahead so not a decision you can make late-in-the-day. No such problem with the Generaliffe (castle) but hardly worth the distance, and the rest of Granada seems to be a pretty average large modern city.

Consider renting a car

Nerja is only about 40 minutes west (or an hour by taking the more-interesting coast road).

The caves (Cuevas de Nerja) outside the town are excellent, the town is a resort and pretty busy.

Or north to the Sierra Nevada. 

Decades since we've been to Portimao / Praia de Rocha.

Very much a resort.

How are you with beach days?

JB 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

We will be on the NCL Star in April.  Two of our ports are Cadiz & Motril.

I think we have just about decided to skip the excursions in Cadiz and just enjoy the city of Cadiz itself.  I've just read too many positive comments about it for me to change my mind.

The city of Motril, on the other hand, has me a bit stumped.  It just doesn't appear to have much of a draw in and of itself.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We will probably hold off on making the Motril decision until we are midway through our cruise. (It's Day #13 of our 15-Day Mediterranean Cruise (Apr 15-30)).  I know that there are excursions to Granada/Alhambra.  But if Motril has a lot to offer, we may just opt to spend our day there.  I have a feeling we are going to be very tired at that point any way.  Ibiza is Day #12, and I think we plan to lay back and just take it easy that day for sure.

While I've got you....we do Portimao, Portugal on Day #14.  Feel free to comment if you've been there.

You are resting Day #12.  You can go to the Alhambra on #13.  Reserve the Alhambra excursion now.  You can always cancel it.  You will not be able to sign up for it mid-cruise because it will be sold out for a very good reason.  It is a must see.

AJ, Correct me if i am wrong, but you have asked almost identical questions about  your Motril options and thoughts,(also  the Alhambra) several times in recent months., getting almost the same answers each time.  You were also advised that Motril had little to offer and is really only a "gateway port" as a stop for excursions to Granada and the Alhambra, but it was suggested that you read websites with tourist info about Motril to see if the town offered anything at all which would interest you enough you to keep you  there for your day in port.

Perhaps it is time to refresh your memory of the advice and suggestions given on the previous threads, so that you may make a final decision, in part as time is ticking away for places  should you decide on an Alhambra shorex.

Here are some of your previous threads to get you started. Tthere may be others in addition which you can search for..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

I liked Cadiz, but I also liked Seville, available by train, though not a fast trip.  There's a bus in Cadiz that goes around the outside of the older area of the city.  I enjoyed that.  I think I caught it somewhere by the park that's not far from the ship's berth.  And if you're in Cadiz for the evening including sunset, I'd head to the beach area (Caleta?) for sunset.  Just keep walking along the waterfron on the (I think) western side of the old town area of Cadiz.  I found that nice, with lots of local flavor. From Cadiz you can probably also go the Andalusian white towns - by excursion or drive.

In Motril I took a third party vendor's excursion to the Alhambra. The vendor got us tickets. It wasn't too terribly far to go for such an awesome place as the Alhambra.  I forget the vendor's name.   I didn't really see much of Motril, but that was OK.  I believe it's the closest port you can use if you want to visit the Alhambra on a cruise.  I'm thinking it was maybe only about 45 minutes or so.  It was worth it. 

Portimao is in the Algarve.  I'll be there this year and am thinking about renting a car and driving around to various towns along the coast. And/or I want to go visit the Benagil Cave, either from Portimao or another town.  I've heard the town itself is just OK.  

• Like 1