Transportation From Downtown to San Pedro

Deisemum

I've a cruise booked on the Sapphire Princess for April 6th as part of a big holiday starting in Las Vegas then San Diego, LA then the cruise and a few days in Vancouver.

We're considering travelling by train to LA and are thinking of booking a hotel in Downtown LA for two nights.  I'm trying to work out how to get to San Pedro from Downtown LA.   I've been researching and see the Metro Line J goes from Union Station to San Pedro so would like to know if anyone has used it and recommends it please.

All suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deisemum said:

I've been researching and see the Metro Line J goes from Union Station to San Pedro so would like to know if anyone has used it and recommends it please.

With luggage just take an Uber or Lyft. A regular sedan will be about $35 or a larger car will cost about $70. The Metro system in LA, while much further along than it used to be, leaves much to be desired. Unless at the height of rush hour, taking a car will literally take half the time of the Metro (30 min vs over an hour). 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

With luggage just take an Uber or Lyft. A regular sedan will be about $35 or a larger car will cost about $70. The Metro system in LA, while much further along than it used to be, leaves much to be desired. Unless at the height of rush hour, taking a car will literally take half the time of the Metro (30 min vs over an hour). 

Thanks for that, we haven't booked a hotel yet as we're looking for a hotel where it's easy to access a one day tour to take in the main tourist attractions in LA yet convenient to get to San Pedro so thought the Downtown area suited.

2 hours ago, Deisemum said:

Thanks for that, we haven't booked a hotel yet as we're looking for a hotel where it's easy to access a one day tour to take in the main tourist attractions in LA yet convenient to get to San Pedro so thought the Downtown area suited.

I'd also take a look at Santa Monica-- right on the beach and a walkable to things like dinner at night. Downtown has come a long way in the past 15 years but there are nicer neighborhoods to be in LA and it wouldn't be my first choice coming from overseas for a quick visit. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deisemum said:

I've a cruise booked on the Sapphire Princess for April 6th as part of a big holiday starting in Las Vegas then San Diego, LA then the cruise and a few days in Vancouver.

We're considering travelling by train to LA and are thinking of booking a hotel in Downtown LA for two nights.  I'm trying to work out how to get to San Pedro from Downtown LA.   I've been researching and see the Metro Line J goes from Union Station to San Pedro so would like to know if anyone has used it and recommends it please.

All suggestions welcome.

I would NOT stay in Downtown LA nor would I try to use the Metro with a lot of luggage between Union Station and San Pedro.  If you stay downtown, there is little to do and you may not wish to wander out of your hotel at night.

Best place to stay in the LA area if you have a couple of days is Santa Monica--nice neighborhood, great weather, lots to see and do and places to eat nearby (Stay in the vicinity of the Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier/Palisades Park).  There is a lot to do nearby even if one does not have a car--stroll along the cliffss at Palisades Park around Sunset, walk on the Third Street Promenade (A pedestrian only promenade with shops, restaurants, street performers and more), visit the Santa Monica Pier (and amusement pier with rides and attractions).  ALL of the major Los Angeles tour providers do pick-ups and drop offs from major Santa Monica hotels.

If not Santa Monica, alternatives to consider are Venice Beach/Marina Del Rey or Universal City/Hollywood or other places on the West Side (Beverly Hills, Westwood Village, Century City, West Hollywood).

Another alternative with two nights is to just head straight to San Pedro, stay at either the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree and book an LA Tour with Sunseeker Tours (the only LA tour company based in the harbor area so they pick up and drop off in San Pedro and Long Beach).

You can Uber from Union Station to any of these places...or, if you are taking the train from San Diego, you might also consider, if staying in San Pedro, getting off the train at Anaheim or Fullerton and Ubering from there to San Pedro.  

Another option would be to fly from San Diego to LAX (much closer to Santa Monica and the West Side) or Burbank (close to Universal City/Hollywood--though, if staying there and taking the train, stay on PAST Union Station to the Burbank train station.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Deisemum said:

Downtown LA is fine if you book a hotel in the right location. You can take the subway to Hollywood from DTLA to catch a tour and then take an Uber from DTLA to San Pedro.

I would not use the Metro with luggage.

• 5 weeks later...